GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default SuperChips,,knock sensor

I have just newly acquired the superchips cortex reprogrammer. just wondering if anybody else out there has messed with these at all or has any advice on whats the best tuner setting for my 4.8L z71. i have tuned it to the 87 octane (which felt to me it reduced power) and the performance tune mode and back to my stock mode. Seems the performance tune mode has the best overall improvements and is actually shown while driving. i was also wondering if i may have to change out my mass air flow sensor? Also with me running the Perfromance tune mode it says to run 91 octane and i just halfway filled up with 91 since i was running 87 thru it, but it keeps giving me a check engine light (code is the knock sensor) just wondering if i keep running 91 thru it, if it will end up adjusting and no longer give me the trouble code?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CORTEX 1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	53132
    Last edited by W1T3OUT918; 06-21-2013 at 03:14 PM.

got a 104 views but no replies???

With the performance tune... you should run 93 octane. Try adding a can of octane booster and see if your code goes away.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

remember it might take your computer a few cycles to set up to the programmer.. Give it a day or 2..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

yeah, i have been running 91 thru it since i put this on here, one person told me that the code comes on due to the fact of that electrical wire that senes the knock gets wet and may ruin the wiring and thats why i keep getting it. its only when i really get on it also that the light comes on,,thanks for the input guys!!!!

I'm thinking if you did not get the trouble code before the new tune... then it not a wiring problem. My guess is not enough octane. Especially since you say you get it when you put you foot into it... that is where it would knock when under load. Like I said put some octane boost in or try rolling it back off to stock and see if it goes away. You really do not want to run it much if its knocking as it can damage the engine over time.

yeah i was wondering if it would damage the engine or what if it keeps giving that sensor,, i will try some of the octane booster like you said. it had given me the code only like once or twice before but it would go off after a bit of driving. if it keeps doing it im probably gonna just reset it back to stock,or stock with options.

Jr. Apprentice

Good to know. I am looking at programmers and have not decided which one yet.
    2003 Chevy 1500HD 4x4

Jr. Apprentice

Is this a common occurrence I wonder? I will be looking to get a tuner hopefully pretty soon and don't want to have any issues like this myself.
    Master Mason E.F.W. Ellis Lodge #633 Rockford, Il A.F.&A.M. Independent Amsoil Dealer

'04 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Ext. Cab WT

Quote Originally Posted by Rockman18 View Post
    Is this a common occurrence I wonder? I will be looking to get a tuner hopefully pretty soon and don't want to have any issues like this myself.
    There are allot of benefits with adding a tune... they do allot of things like advance the timing, fuel mixture, shift points etc. Many have guidelines with regards to minimum octane requirements for settings such as stock, sport and performance. I have bad two tuners over the years... bully dog and a diablo trinity. Both have worked well... but my diablo has more options with regards to custom tuning. I would highly recommend diablo to anyone looking a tuners.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by