GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Former Member

Default Cleaning the corrosion from these "chrome" wheel skins??

Washed the truck last night and found the chrome skins on the OE 17-inch wheels are corroded, center cap is fine...what is the choice of cleaner for them? They are chrome plated plastic correct? My normal approach would have been steel wool, but I wanted to make sure I don't damage them using that technique before I did that.

Master Mechanic

I would usually say polish but they are only chrome painted plastic. Can you post a pic? Most of us would appreciate that.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Your trucks a 2012, before doing anything to them you might try visiting the dealer, see if theres a TSB.
    Dealerships can still sometimes surprise you and handle items like this, but only if you let them know the problem exists.

Try aluminum foil, it is softer than the chrome so will not scratch it and it does a chemical reaction with the corrosion. I am currently doing this on a set of chrome rims and works great. Now I do wonder if it will work on chrome plated plastic, I don't know if that matters. But at least try it.

Also here is a link for the details that I found and helped me.

http://www.robertscycle.com/chrome-clean.html
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

5. Likes Enkeiavalanche liked this post

Not sure if GM changed them,but my 2006 chrome covers were metal. I removed them to have painted wheels and was surprised to see that they weren't made of plastic. Had quite a time getting them off and destroyed them doing so. All bent and mangled. They may clean up better than you think with traditional chrome polish.
    2006 Silverado 1500 5.3L ecsb Z71,afe pro s dry air filter, color matched tailgate handle and bezel,color matched front bow tie, led interior illumination, 5000K HID lows, Black powder coated wheels, Blacked out body side moldings, Rough Country 2.5" level/lift kit, Magnaflow muffler

Sr. Apprentice

hi everyone
    now a days chrome wheel is very popular. chrome is relatively soft, it responds very well to polishing
    Frequent cleaning is the only way to keep your wheels safe.The soft, synthetic bristles loosen grime and brake dust without scratching the chrome.use non acidic cleanser to protect wheel finish.