GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: tranny issues

Default tranny issues

how can i find out the weight of my truck, Rear Axle Ratio?

i need to know the weight of my truck to give to the tranny shop so they can build my tranny
    please help
    :great:
    1994 K2500 Chevy Suburban 4X4, Full 2.5" Built Pipe, Shorty Headers, New Built 383 Stroker Motor with a Mild Cam, Power Pulleys, Summit Performance Muffler, Tranny with a 25 or 32 convertor, K& N Air Intake, Dual Electric Fans, 34" 4 Core Radiator, Trans Cooler, Cross Drilled and Slotted Front Rotors, Steelbraided Brake lines front
    and rear, Whole new Front Suspension, Polyurethane Bushings all around, Bilstein Shocks , Black Tinted Windows, Subbox, (Soon new rims and tires)
    :surprised:

The rear axle ratio will be listed in the RPO codes on the inside of the glove box on the dash. It will be one of the "G" codes. There is an RPO decoder here: http://www.marshu.com/images-website...-car-codes.pdf

As far as weight, in Texas, the empty weight is listed on the title, but I'm not sure about NY. The gross weight will be listed on the sticker on the door, so you could always just deduct the payload amount from that.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

In many areas the community landfill (dump) has a scale. Highway truck stops often have public scales, too.
    Are we having fun, yet?

Thanx alot guy for the info

Yeah, I'd just go off the door sticker. It would be the most accurate way to tell the weight. You're going to want the transmission built to the heaviest weight that it might ever be subjected to. That being said, I don't know how you could build a transmission up to a certain weight class. There's only like 2 different sets of parts...regular and heavy duty.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage