GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Which code scanner to buy?

I need to diagnose my mom's 2000 Malibu and need to be able to use the same code scanner on my 05 chevy truck. I want cheap and reliable. Will the Actron OBDII code scanner work for my needs?

OBDII codes have been in use since the 1980's so any OBDII reader will work on any vehicle built since then, AFAIK.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Pre 96 is OBD1 and the connectors and programs change between manufacturers, OBDII is 96 and later and can be scanned with the same scanner. Now cheap scanners may only do powertrain and not ABS or SRS etc. i would get a laptop based scanner so you can update and use it on more vehicles. I have a SnapOn Ethos and its fine fir most things, you can get them used on ebay for like 450$ some times. Do not buy a MT2500 as they are too outdated to really have any purpose.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

Former Member

Harbor Freight...I have one and it works as good or better than my Actron. It was also cheaper.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I have the snap on mt2500 as mentioned above, and I love it. $125.00 with bidirectional function up to 2005. Abs, bcm, ECM, etc. it's all I use.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap