GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Default Would you switch to Mobil 1 synthetic at 42,000 miles?

    I've been using the dealer for my oil changes thus far and want to go back to doing my own. Would you switch over to Mobile 1 at 42,000 miles or keep using the GM oil?

    Thanks,

    Steve

  2. #2

    Default

    Switch.

    Any stories you may have heard are nothing but "old wives tales".
    Ray

    '09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

  3. #3
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve V. View Post
    I've been using the dealer for my oil changes thus far and want to go back to doing my own. Would you switch over to Mobile 1 at 42,000 miles or keep using the GM oil?

    Thanks,

    Steve
    some engines require dexos GM spec for proper engine protection. find out what you engine requires.

    I would not worry about switching to a synthetic engine oil at this time. you may have had synthetic put in it at the dealership if you have a 2007 engine and newer.

    The mobil 1 I use is now Dexos approved . I have found this to be very good with reduction of some of the engine noise on cold starts in very cold weather for the first 2 min.

    I hope your not using regular dino oil as this oil is not good for these type truck engines even if it is an older one. make sure you use the proper viscosity. this should be 5-30wt. also get / use quality oil filters no fram filters. ac delco/mobil/napa gold/wix/purolator pure one .............

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve V. View Post
    I've been using the dealer for my oil changes thus far and want to go back to doing my own. Would you switch over to Mobile 1 at 42,000 miles or keep using the GM oil?

    Thanks,

    Steve
    I've been using Mobil 1 for years now on my vehicles with no problems or complaints.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    some engines require dexos GM spec for proper engine protection. find out what you engine requires.

    I would not worry about switching to a synthetic engine oil at this time. you may have had synthetic put in it at the dealership if you have a 2007 engine and newer.

    The mobil 1 I use is now Dexos approved . I have found this to be very good with reduction of some of the engine noise on cold starts in very cold weather for the first 2 min.

    I hope your not using regular dino oil as this oil is not good for these type truck engines even if it is an older one. make sure you use the proper viscosity. this should be 5-30wt. also get / use quality oil filters no fram filters. ac delco/mobil/napa gold/wix/purolator pure one .............
    I use Mobil 1 and AC Delco oil filters on my vehicles. I've had success with filters like Purolator and Wix, but the AC Delco filters are the same price.

    2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab


    Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

  5. #5

    Default

    What do you guys recommend on a 99 Yukon with 156K? I switched to synthetic a year ago and noticed a need to add a quart after about 1500 miles. That doesn't seem right.


    GMC and Chevy truck owner since 1988

  6. #6

    Default

    On my last truck which was an 03 silverado 1500,i got the truck at 100k and switched to Mobil 1...never had any issues. When i got my 09 silverado last year,the first oil changed i did was to Mobil 1 and im never lookng back.Go ahead and switch!

    2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

    Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    275/65R18 Toyo Open Country AT2's
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit(want to get the 2.5 RC kit)
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    ProFlaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Blacked out Tail Lights
    Aftermarket Rims

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 99Yuk View Post
    What do you guys recommend on a 99 Yukon with 156K? I switched to synthetic a year ago and noticed a need to add a quart after about 1500 miles. That doesn't seem right.
    I used Mobile one from the first oil change on my 2002 when I bought it new. When I bought my 2003 with 130,000 on it I switched to mobile 1. I did notice it was losing oil somewhere. I did not see any leaks so it had to be burning it. I switched to mobile one high mileage and the oil level stopped dropping. When I totaled that truck and bought my 2005 with 130,000 on it I switched to Mobile 1 high mileage. It runs smoother than when I bought it, the oil level is at the same place when I drain it as it was when I filled it, and I have had no leaks develope. The only thing bad about the Mobile 1 high mileage is that it is not recommended for frequent towing or extended idling times.

    1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

    2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

  8. #8
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,468

    Default

    give details on oil used, viscosity etc. oil filters used. another thing replace the PCV and check hoses for leaks.

    what oil was used in it before , give oil details . also the frequency of oil changes with the non synthetic.

  9. #9

    Default

    3,500 miles on conventional and 4-5k on synthetic...thats what i do

  10. #10
    Legend

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.
    Posts
    1,613

    Default

    I used Mobil 1 ever since I bought my 1998 Suburban-in 2007- with 195,000 miles on it
    223,000 now-runs fine
    I did switch to 10w30 extended service-since I'm lazy
    and my idle oil pressure was 20 psi-which is plenty- but went to 10w30 instead of 5w30
    live in hot climate-NOLA-and plenty of miles-hence the 10w30
    sticking with 5w30 probably would have been just fine-
    if I live farther N I certainly wouldn't use 10w30- 5w30
    we are hot most of the time-and rarely get to 30 degrees-1 two days a year maybe
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

    199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •