GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seafoam

Default Seafoam

ok, ive read about this seafoam stuff a couple times before and was wondering what it is and what it is used for and if it is worth buying (sounds like it is worth it already but just want to hear some opinions)

thanks, Pete
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

yes its worth buying, it has a a crap load of uses, i used it to clean the intake on my jeep, threw it in my gas tank of every vehicle to clean up the injecters and such, here is the link, it really is awesome, i use seafoam to clean stuff up and i run lucas oil products

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpConsumer.htm

alright ill look for it next time im at advance it says they have it there... how much does it cost? do i just put a can of it in the gas tank? can i just pour it into the motor when i do my next oil change? how and for what do you guys use it?

edit: actually just found this video that says how to do it. im guessing this is what you guys do??

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...90865726229173
    Last edited by Steve; 05-22-2008 at 04:58 PM.
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500

Let me know how it works pete. The suburban can use all the extra power it can get.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

the 1st time i heard about seafoam was in the motorcycle world. i was told it would eat the varnish out of the carbs and get a sitting bike back on the road in no time. i remember getting the money order for a case as it was only sold thru mail order and by the case. i put some in the carb bowl and the fuel tank and let sit for an hour and be hold the bike did start and run (smoked like heck for a bit) now 25 years later i still use and love the product and it is avalable at any NAPA and some larger auto chain stores. i use 1 can in the gas tank when at 1/2 full or 1/4 full. i then pull the booster vaccum line i was told i do it wrong but i i not had issues i pull the booster line and insert it into the can of saefoam and suck it in and let the motor stall (the correct way is add a funnel to the vacc line and pour slowly into the line and turn off the motor after 2/3s of the can is installed) let sit for 10-20 min and restart the car. it may or may not smoke (my kids love it when it does---and yes the smoke will stop, but sometimes it takes 20-35 min-i stop traffic for awhile and we laugh and 2Xs the fire dept has come out to investigate a fire call.....lol.
    about 50 miles before the oil change (oil, gear or tranny) i put the recomended amount in the correct spot.
    if you got alot of miles you might get a new fuel filter and change it after 250 miles cause your old one might get full of crud...........mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well

Sea Foam works great. I keep a few cans around to clean fuel systems on cars that have sat a while and I run it in my daily drivers about every 6 months.
    It does a great job cleaning clogged injectors, I've pulled clogged injectors and let them set a 1/2 hour in Sea Foam to clean up, works great.
    I usually run a 1/2 can in the gas tank and the other 1/2 in the vacuum booster line (actually any vacuum line will work great). I've never tried it in the oil yet because I use a sepparate cleaner for the oil just prior to oil changes.

its worth every bit, at about $5 a can? I used 2 cans on my truck. I believe you put a can in a full tank of gas, half a can in your oil with about 150 miles left till you change it, and the other half in the brake booster line. With that last half for the booster line, you take one third(While the vehicle is running), pour it slowly and DO NOT let the engine die. Do this again with another third. Then with the last third pour as quick as you can to try to kill it and if the engine doesnt die, shut it off quickly. let it sit for about 15-25 minutes. Start it up and run for about 10 minutes. And for my favorite part, go for a little spirited driving and watch behind you as all of that buildup comes out your exhaust. It a lot of fun trying to make a huge trail going down the street. We did this in my best friends WS6 and had about a half mile trail of smoke. Have fun.
    ANDREW
    2005 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
    -Dual exhaust
    -K&N Cold Air Intake
    -8000K HID Headlights

yea ill try this stuff soon and let u know how it works. i also need all the power i can get
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500

updates:

did the seafoam treatment today in my truck and it smoked like a you know what as it was supposed too. the truck felt much smoother after the treatment and it seemed to have a little more pickup. it was also more responsive and it seem to have a little more pickup and be more responsive.

I made movie of it as well ill post it up when i figure out how
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500

now to keep everything going add it to the gas tank for the next few tanks and then once every 90 and it will stay this was and keep you happ. ...mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast