GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default My 2011 truck was broken into,

Drove the truck up to Atlanta Saturday PM and went to Brunswick bowling center and parked it with a 6 x 10 enclosed trailer from 3PM - 7PM and had some fun time with my children.
    The following day, I realized I was missing a laptop bag and check book bag. The thing is, I noticed when I locked my truck with the remote, it locked but did not hear the horn. There was no visible forced entry damage from the doors and windows, My son found out that the engine compartment fusebox top cover was laying on the spare battery tray and the horn fuse was pulled, which explains the absence of the horn chirp when you lock the truck and activate the alarm,

I was wondering how the thief entered the truck. Are these newer trucks easy to break into? Thanks.
    2011 Chevy Silverado LT 4WD 30k miles
    2001 Suburban 2WD, 5.3, V8 185k miles
    1993 964
    1996 318TI

Ok, with that fuse out, will the doors lock?

And, how/why would the cover have been off and the fuse pulled?

BTW, if I was you the 1st call would have been to the bank to have the checks cancelled, and/or the account closed.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Thanks Roy.

The banks are already taken cared of early this morning. Closed the accounts and opened a new one as advised by the bank.

The doors locked but I did not hear the horn with the fuse pulled.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post

And, how/why would the cover have been off and the fuse pulled?
    I was wondering how they opened the hood. They must have opened the doors and opened the hoodbut i do not see any sign of forced entry.

Quote Originally Posted by bazar01 View Post

The doors locked but I did not hear the horn with the fuse pulled.

I was wondering how they opened the hood. They must have opened the doors and opened the hoodbut i do not see any sign of forced entry.
    So, you think maybe they pulled the horn fuse so that when the factory alarm tripped the horn won't blow. But, you need to be inside the truck to open the hood.

So, they must have opened a door, tripped the alarm, released the hood, got the cover off the fuse panel (all the while, the horn is blowing) and pulled the horn fuse. Then, they stole the stuff.

I think most vehicles are easy to open, a "slim-jim" will get a thief into a truck in 10 secs, it might take you and I 2 mins.

I guess having the truck call your cell is the only way to ensure the alarm does a job.

A skilled thief can slide underneath the front end and trip the hood latch to the secondary latch, then open the hood and pop the horn fuse.
    Then slim jim the door, start to finish less than 10 minutes.
    New trucks are actually more time consuming since if you want to do the job quietly you have to pop the hood first, older trucks dont normally have factory alarms so their quieter and you only have to slim jim the door.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    A skilled thief can slide underneath the front end and trip the hood latch to the secondary latch, then open the hood and pop the horn fuse.
    Then slim jim the door, start to finish less than 10 minutes.
    New trucks are actually more time consuming since if you want to do the job quietly you have to pop the hood first, older trucks dont normally have factory alarms so their quieter and you only have to slim jim the door.
    On the NNBS trucks, the horn will blow if the hood is opened. This assumes the user locked the doors via the remote.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by bazar01 View Post
    Drove the truck up to Atlanta
    That explains it.

Does your truck have exterior key holes? Check those closely to see if there are any scratches or any other signs of prying. A lot of trucks, including my 2001 Silverado and my dad's 2006 F-350, have been broken into that way. The thieves will use a screw driver and jam it under the key hole and unlock the door. Not sure if GM fixed that on the newer trucks.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Look under the door handle for a little hole about the size of a screw driver.. Do you have a sliding glass in the back of the truck?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    That explains it.

Does your truck have exterior key holes? Check those closely to see if there are any scratches or any other signs of prying. A lot of trucks, including my 2001 Silverado and my dad's 2006 F-350, have been broken into that way. The thieves will use a screw driver and jam it under the key hole and unlock the door. Not sure if GM fixed that on the newer trucks.
    Yes my truck has exterior key holes. That was exactly the same theory the cop said about the key hole as a common access to the cab. But we did not see any scratch marks on the key hole. Once they get in, the alarm sounds off, they pop the hood and pull the horn fuse. Get what they want amd lock the truck back. When you come back to the truck, you unlock with the remote and seemed nothing happened. Then when you get off and lock the truck, there is no horn when you arm it.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

look under the handle..