GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Post Burb search 2000

(duplicate post from over in general tech but I think it's better suited for this thread)

I guess I'll just jump right in here. I'm looking for an older Suburban 2500 around 1999 or newer and wanted to get some opinions on what to look for in regards to what year/options are primo. In my experience there is nothing worse than buying a vehicle only to find later on that next year they made some huge improvement or to find that I should have been looking for a specific options package that would have made my project easier. I found that out the hard way with my 95 Rodeo, it's motor was the last of a dying breed due to lifter problems.

I defiantly want a 4x4 and a diesel and I'm thinking of dropping a new powerplant in as well as other goodies. I can paint, I can weld, I'm good with a wrench, I can chase a spark. I plan on buying it soon and driving it around while I save enough money to start the process.

Need a strong truck for the apocalypse. One that can run over zombies and hold plenty of guns.
    Information Sponge

Did a little research and it appears the the new body and frame style happened in 2000. Does anyone know anything about this year and what is right and wrong with it as compared to the previous one. Any major kinks get worked out 1-2 years later? Also with the engine, any engine model in that range better for upgrades, installing turbos and just all around performance? And with the transmission, should I be seeking a manual or auto/certain kind.

Any inside information would be helpful. I figure there is a wealth of knowledge here I really would appreciate the inside scoop.

Thanks
    Last edited by pharmakon; 05-17-2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Additional question

I have a '99 k2500 the only problems really so far is that the intake manifold leaks coolant, it was a common problem with the vortec 5700 and 7400 due to poor design.. I have owned one of the 2000 style trucks.. which would be comparable to a 2000 or newer suburban... they redesigned all motors as you probably know and all transmissions.. if you want to spend more than 7000 I would try to find the newer style the drivetrains overall are much better.. the 6.0L has a much wider powerband and feels comparable to my 7.4L except when towing you can feel a slight difference in torque
    '99 K2500 Suburban Vortec 7400
    '00 k2500 Silverado Vortec 6000 ex. cab

'84 K5 Blazer 4x4 lifted (defunct)
    '86 Dodge w250 4x4 lifted (also defunct)

Default How is the ride - 99 v. 2000

How does the ride compare on a 2500 when you compare the 1999 to the 2000?

Did you ever find what you were looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by pharmakon View Post
    Did a little research and it appears the the new body and frame style happened in 2000. Does anyone know anything about this year and what is right and wrong with it as compared to the previous one. Any major kinks get worked out 1-2 years later? Also with the engine, any engine model in that range better for upgrades, installing turbos and just all around performance? And with the transmission, should I be seeking a manual or auto/certain kind.

Any inside information would be helpful. I figure there is a wealth of knowledge here I really would appreciate the inside scoop.

Thanks

Did you get a 99 or 2000 ???

What do you think about the newer models?

Quote Originally Posted by pharmakon View Post
    (duplicate post from over in general tech but I think it's better suited for this thread)