GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Buying new water pump, 04 5.3 v8, 1.88 or 2.05 dia, new or reman.

Hi guys, I finally have enough money together to get a new water pump (generic one from autozone or similar)

i have what i believe to be a 1.88 thermostat inlet diameter water pump on my 04 5.3 v8 but im wondering if i should get the 2.05 inlet diameter as the "1 piece" thermostat housing + thermostat is replaceable on these units where as the 1.88 you have to replace the thermostat and o-ring gasket (and i was unable to find new housings at auto zone for this particular thermostat housing)

But I am not able to find parts for it, calling just now to see if i could get a replacement housing for the thermostat takes 2 days, and the 2.05" diameter just seem to be more common for this parts.

The pic below shows my 1.88" D Thermostat and a 2.05" D Thermostat + Housing,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thermostat.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	53380

Since my water pump shows signs of failing im just at a cross-roads since i already bought and replaced the 1.88"D Thermostat but cant find a housing for it should I buy a new water pump with the 2.05" D and get the thermostat and be done with it?

Also, how do you guys feel about Generic or Non-OEM Water pumps, whether new or remanufactured?
    Last edited by Bowtied; 07-04-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: ETA: comparing new vs. reman. pumps

My father and I both put water pumps from advance auto on our trucks. We never had an issue. I had the style with just the replaceable t stat. His was the t-stat and housing together. I am pretty sure that they are interchangeable. I bet that you could get the new housing at a dealer.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)