GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default What to do next? Lights?

Hi everyone! Trying to figure out what I want to do next to my truck. HID? or change the bulbs in my tail lights? Or something else for <$100? Just looking to add a little bit at a time. Do not have the money to completely change headlights and tail lights and 3rd brake light and all that right now. Again, looking to add just a little extra. Any thoughts? Much appreciated! BTW pics of my truck on on my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket32 View Post
    Hi everyone! Trying to figure out what I want to do next to my truck. HID? or change the bulbs in my tail lights? Or something else for <$100? Just looking to add a little bit at a time. Do not have the money to completely change headlights and tail lights and 3rd brake light and all that right now. Again, looking to add just a little extra. Any thoughts? Much appreciated! BTW pics of my truck on on my profile.
    I have read that if you should not put HID bulbs in the stock housing as the reflectors are not made for HID light.

Since you put on chrome door handles, maybe you could put on a chrome tailgate handle (I did it to my 2013). You can get the chrome stick on handle off ebay for less than $20. From your pics, I assume you have an LS (chrome steel wheels), so here is an ebay listing for a chrome tailgate handle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-12-Chevy-...c68b6c&vxp=mtr

Also look at putting on chrome mirror caps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silverado-Ta...ffeac5&vxp=mtr

If my assumption is right, I would also suggest getting a tailgate lock. In some areas tailgate theft is a big problem. You can get this unit from BOLT, it has a smart tumbler that learns your factory key. If you decide to get it, you will need to get a chrome handle with a key hole.

http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-be...FcN_QgodYncATQ

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Amber bulbs in the DRL cost about $4 for a set, and look good, I think.
    Las Vegas, NV...2001 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Stepside X-cab, 171,000 miles, 5.3, cat-back duals, leveling kit, 3.73, 17" rims, more to come...

Jr. Apprentice

I appreciate the feedback so far! I am taking everything into consideration so all you guys' opinions help! Thanks.

Also, pretty sure I want to do something with lighting. Is changing the interior lights and license plate lights to LED's difficult and costly? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
    Amber bulbs in the DRL cost about $4 for a set, and look good, I think.
    From his profile, he has a 2008 Silverado. They use the low beam for the DRL whereas the NBS Silverados had a separate DRL bulb.

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler

Adding to what others have said... custom front plate, bug guard, decals etc. There's allot that can be done at $100 a time.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

if you end up doing your headlights, save yourself alot of time and money and DO NOT do it little by little, do it all at once and do it right the first time... do a proper HID retrofit
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

I have had my HIDs for 5 years in stock housings with no problems. If you buy a quality light kit and use a relay to protect the factory electrics it should be good.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

Quote Originally Posted by shibby2oo8 View Post
    I have had my HIDs for 5 years in stock housings with no problems. If you buy a quality light kit and use a relay to protect the factory electrics it should be good.
    I did not mean it would damage them, just that from what I have read is that HIDs need to be in a projector housing, not in a reflector housing. Something about the HID light being too bright and possibly blinding oncoming drivers.

I'm not trying to chime in on legality issues.

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks again everyone. I have decided to do go with upgrading my interior. I have on the way a LED interior light package. Dom, map, license plate as well. Found one for a great price. Going to do that now and save up for HID a little later. Still have some $ to do other things though so I am still appreciating your input!
    2008 Silverado LS
    4.8L V8 Crew Cab
    Grey/Black interior, Chrome Package, Flowmaster exhaust

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."