GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Keep that engine clean. Burn gas, not oil (unless you've got a diesel!).

The Cheap-*ss Modder & Thread Killer
    The Realist says, "The glass is too big".

2013 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z60 4WD Crew Cab
    Mineral Green Metallic w/ Tan Leather Interior
    5.3 L FLEX w/AFM, 6A, Cheap-*ss Mods
    32 Dump Club Member
    Range V8 AFM Eliminator

Default oil separator benefits

performance improvement would be dependent upon your engine. A really hi-performance, high compression engine will benefit more, as the oil that is getting put back into the combustion chamber with the fuel is reducing the octane power of the fuel. Separating the oil out from the fuel gives you cleaner fuel, which will burn better. Even in a stock LS motor, there will be benefit, but it may be small, as in just a few horsepower, or a tenth or two of one MPG. Your engine will breathe cleaner, regardless, and ultimately run a bit better. if your engine tends to "ping" or detonate only on rare occasions, the separator might fix that, as the oil in the fuel is reducing the effective octane rating, which can cause detonation. Now, my only question is about that core inside my PCV hose. Earlier models of the 5.3 have a PCV hose that is rubber on the outside, but some kind of hard core inside. I have not removed mine to see what it is. does anyone know if that is just another rubber hose? I don't want to cut mine if it is a metal core.
    Last edited by buckmeister2; 07-09-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: added question
    Las Vegas, NV...2001 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Stepside X-cab, 171,000 miles, 5.3, cat-back duals, leveling kit, 3.73, 17" rims, more to come...

I am considering doing this. I may spot by my old job and see if my old boss has any small Norgren separators laying around.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Master Mechanic

I ordered the Moroso one, larger and mounts to the alternator mount. Here are there directions for there's.
    http://www.moroso.com/catalog/images/85481_inst.pdf
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Default oil separator

So, Kyle...that harder core inside is just black plastic tubing, wrapped on the outside with rubber insulator hose? that is what the "early" instructions looked like. Have you cut yours yet to see? Jim

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
    So, Kyle...that harder core inside is just black plastic tubing, wrapped on the outside with rubber insulator hose? that is what the "early" instructions looked like. Have you cut yours yet to see? Jim
    I actually installed my Moroso unit yesterday.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (6).jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	53450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (5).jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	53451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (4).jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	53452

Hey Cowpie -
    Any further thoughts on how your Jegs is working out? What other units are you condsidering?Any difference in how your truck performs? You mentioned in your first post that you found information of this set at other forumds. Can you post what the forums are? Even though I have a 4.3L engine, I'd like to do some more research.

The Jegs unit has already caught a fair amount of oil in the short time it has been on. I am quite surprised that so much oil is being brought along with the crankcase gasses into the intake. While the Jegs unit seems to be doing a good job, I primarily put it on to see if the idea that something was needed was reality. Well it is, so I am looking at a couple of other better units. One is the RevXtreme can and the other is a can sold by Corvette Custom Accessories.

http://www.revxtreme.com/rx-catch-ca...le-check-valve

http://www.customcorvetteaccessories...lcatchcan.html

No way to really tell if any performance difference. I only had 1000 miles on the pickup when I did this. As for other forums, I got introduced to this idea on the www.silveradosierra.com forum under the 5.3L engine section and then just started doing web searches on other forums. Lot's of info out there to consume a lot of your time.
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowpie View Post
    Well, just got done putting on a Jeg's PCV oil "catch can" separator on my 2013 5.3L. Real easy project. Had it done in 20 minutes.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...52205/10002/-1

Attachment 53350
    I have to say that this thing looks just like my craftsman water separator for my air compressor. Just a different label

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I have to say that this thing looks just like my craftsman water separator for my air compressor. Just a different label
    Yeah, I would agree! Does look a little cheesy. But I wanted to try something to see how much of this whole PCV oil thing was realistic or just a bunch of hooey. I am solidly convinced that this is a problem. I will be moving up to one of the top notch catch cans soon. Though the Jegs unit looks like a relabeled compressor unit, it sure has separated out a LOT of oil already. Better than nothing, I suppose, but I am moving up to something better, more than likely, the RevXtreme can.

Since they got brought up a few posts back, I would sure like to see the internals of the Moroso cans to see how they are doing their thing. Anyone got any pics to share?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by