GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Sr. Mechanic Cowpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    193

    Default PCV oil catch can/separtor

    Well, just got done putting on a Jeg's PCV oil "catch can" separator on my 2013 5.3L. Real easy project. Had it done in 20 minutes.

    http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...52205/10002/-1

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2490.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	53350
    2013 Silverado 1500 LT Z-71 Crew. 5.3L Auto. Range AFM Delete, PCV Catch Can, RC Leveling kit, Dynomax Ultra Flo cat back, Airaid M.I.T.

    2013 Freightliner Columbia. pre-EGR Detroit 12.7L 500 hp 1850 lb torque, 18 speed.

  2. #2
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,324

    Default

    with this separator one end goes to the pcv and the other to the throttle body ? any oil getting by the pcv is captured in the separator and is not sent to the / thru the throttle body.

    with this being a new vehicle did the separator catch any oil ?

  3. #3
    Sr. Mechanic Cowpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    193

    Default

    You got it. This filter goes between the PCV outlet in the driver's side valve cover and the intake manifold. On the 5.3L in the Silverado, the inlet to the manifold is on the very top and not thru the throttle body like on some of the cars. Just put it on last night, so too soon to see any results.

    Will see how much is getting caught by this system. Whether the vehicle is old or new, oil in some measure always gets transported right along with the gasses that are drawn up thru the PCV. Will post pics at various intervals showing how much is being caught. I am cognizant of the fact that this particular brand of setup may not do as well as I hoped. I am looking at a couple of other units if this one does not do well. There are several folks on other forums that have had excellent results from this one, so I decided to give it a try.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Decided to go out and take a pic. Put about 130 miles on the pickup since last night. Here is the oil the filter took out of the PCV system just in 130 miles......

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2494.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	53372

  4. #4

    Default

    Is nice.
    I like.
    The Cheap-*ss Modder & Thread Killer
    The Realist says, "The glass is too big".

    2013 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z60 4WD Crew Cab
    Mineral Green Metallic w/ Tan Leather Interior
    5.3 L FLEX w/AFM, 6A, Cheap-*ss Mods
    32 Dump Club Member
    Range V8 AFM Eliminator

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowpie View Post
    Well, just got done putting on a Jeg's PCV oil "catch can" separator on my 2013 5.3L. Real easy project. Had it done in 20 minutes.

    http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...52205/10002/-1

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2490.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	53350
    I have to say that this thing looks just like my craftsman water separator for my air compressor. Just a different label

    1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

    2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

  6. #6
    Sr. Mechanic Cowpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I have to say that this thing looks just like my craftsman water separator for my air compressor. Just a different label
    Yeah, I would agree! Does look a little cheesy. But I wanted to try something to see how much of this whole PCV oil thing was realistic or just a bunch of hooey. I am solidly convinced that this is a problem. I will be moving up to one of the top notch catch cans soon. Though the Jegs unit looks like a relabeled compressor unit, it sure has separated out a LOT of oil already. Better than nothing, I suppose, but I am moving up to something better, more than likely, the RevXtreme can.

    Since they got brought up a few posts back, I would sure like to see the internals of the Moroso cans to see how they are doing their thing. Anyone got any pics to share?

  7. #7

    Default

    Cowpie -
    Thanks for the info, it will be handy for me when I get around to doing this. Should the intake manifold be cleaned after install a kit? If so any recommendations? My truck has 48,300 or so miles on it. So I'm thinking there could be some real build up of crud.

  8. #8
    Sr. Mechanic Cowpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    193

    Default

    That might be a good idea. I would seriously consider a seafoam treatment thru the throttle body and into the intake manifold. Maybe others can chime in and offer something better.

  9. #9

    Default

    Just a thought for folks thinking of doing this, and wondering which unit is "best". If you are familiar with the "point of diminishing returns", it may never apply better than here. The Jegs unit, or a good quality air compressor oil separator, are about the same item. For our standard-or-slightly improved performance Silverado engines, they will remove at least 80% of the oil that the $180 Moroso unit will remove. With that 80%, you will not "feel" any improvement in performance, though your engine will run slightly better,and certainly run cleaner. If you pay the additional $130 or so for the Moroso, you have exceeded the point of diminishing returns. Maybe it is important to have "the best" at all times, and that is great. But, if that is not terribly important, and you are like many of us who do not have extra money to spend, you are not getting any bang for your buck by buying the best oil separator/catch can available.
    Las Vegas, NV...2001 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Stepside X-cab, 171,000 miles, 5.3, cat-back duals, leveling kit, 3.73, 17" rims, more to come...

  10. #10
    Master Mechanic
    KyleZ71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    York and Wilkes Barre, PA
    Posts
    855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
    Just a thought for folks thinking of doing this, and wondering which unit is "best". If you are familiar with the "point of diminishing returns", it may never apply better than here. The Jegs unit, or a good quality air compressor oil separator, are about the same item. For our standard-or-slightly improved performance Silverado engines, they will remove at least 80% of the oil that the $180 Moroso unit will remove. With that 80%, you will not "feel" any improvement in performance, though your engine will run slightly better,and certainly run cleaner. If you pay the additional $130 or so for the Moroso, you have exceeded the point of diminishing returns. Maybe it is important to have "the best" at all times, and that is great. But, if that is not terribly important, and you are like many of us who do not have extra money to spend, you are not getting any bang for your buck by buying the best oil separator/catch can available.
    I liked the way the Moroso mounted, was clean looking, and was a larger unit. Sorry if it wasn't the best bang for the buck
    Objects in mirror are losing

    2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •