GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Cowpie -
    Thanks for the info, it will be handy for me when I get around to doing this. Should the intake manifold be cleaned after install a kit? If so any recommendations? My truck has 48,300 or so miles on it. So I'm thinking there could be some real build up of crud.

That might be a good idea. I would seriously consider a seafoam treatment thru the throttle body and into the intake manifold. Maybe others can chime in and offer something better.
    2013 Silverado 1500 LT Z-71 Crew. 5.3L Auto. Range AFM Delete, PCV Catch Can, RC Leveling kit, Dynomax Ultra Flo cat back, Airaid M.I.T.

2013 Freightliner Columbia. pre-EGR Detroit 12.7L 500 hp 1850 lb torque, 18 speed.

Just a thought for folks thinking of doing this, and wondering which unit is "best". If you are familiar with the "point of diminishing returns", it may never apply better than here. The Jegs unit, or a good quality air compressor oil separator, are about the same item. For our standard-or-slightly improved performance Silverado engines, they will remove at least 80% of the oil that the $180 Moroso unit will remove. With that 80%, you will not "feel" any improvement in performance, though your engine will run slightly better,and certainly run cleaner. If you pay the additional $130 or so for the Moroso, you have exceeded the point of diminishing returns. Maybe it is important to have "the best" at all times, and that is great. But, if that is not terribly important, and you are like many of us who do not have extra money to spend, you are not getting any bang for your buck by buying the best oil separator/catch can available.
    Las Vegas, NV...2001 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Stepside X-cab, 171,000 miles, 5.3, cat-back duals, leveling kit, 3.73, 17" rims, more to come...

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
    Just a thought for folks thinking of doing this, and wondering which unit is "best". If you are familiar with the "point of diminishing returns", it may never apply better than here. The Jegs unit, or a good quality air compressor oil separator, are about the same item. For our standard-or-slightly improved performance Silverado engines, they will remove at least 80% of the oil that the $180 Moroso unit will remove. With that 80%, you will not "feel" any improvement in performance, though your engine will run slightly better,and certainly run cleaner. If you pay the additional $130 or so for the Moroso, you have exceeded the point of diminishing returns. Maybe it is important to have "the best" at all times, and that is great. But, if that is not terribly important, and you are like many of us who do not have extra money to spend, you are not getting any bang for your buck by buying the best oil separator/catch can available.
    I liked the way the Moroso mounted, was clean looking, and was a larger unit. Sorry if it wasn't the best bang for the buck
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Buckmeister - Thanks for the write up. Where did you find the 80% efficiency rating for the Jegs unit? Early last week I sent Jegs an email asking what the efficiency ratings were for the Jegs 52205 unit (the one Cowpie is using) and their Steeda 555-3710 unit. As of now I haven't heard anything from them (very disappointing). I'm guessing the 20% or so not captured by the unit can be taken care of by an occasional Seafoam treament. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Goldie; 07-20-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: mispelled words

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    Buckmeister - Thanks for the write up. Where did you find the 80% efficiency rating for the Jegs unit? Early last week I sent Jegs an email asking what the efficiency ratings were for the Jegs 52205 unit (the one Cowpie is using) and their Steeda 555-3710 unit. As of now I haven't heard anything from them (very disappointing). I'm guessing the 20% or so not captured by the unit can be taken care of by an occasional Seafoam treament. Any thoughts?
    I will be honest, every time I change my oil I try to clean my throttle body by pouring seafoam into the vacuum line or by spray can into the throttle body. When I removed my intake manifold for the first time last month I was surprised by the amount of build up in it.

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

If you're after 100% oil vapor filtration, why not just run two Jeg's units in a series set-up? That ought to get pretty close to all of the contaminants out of the PCV supply. And it would still be cheaper than the Moroso-Elite-RX-MikeNorris units.

Just a thought.
    The Cheap-*ss Modder & Thread Killer
    The Realist says, "The glass is too big".

2007 Chevy Tahoe LS
    Red Sport Metallic w/ Tan Leather Interior
    5.3 L FLEX w/AFM, 4A, Stock.

2013 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z60 4WD Crew Cab
    Mineral Green Metallic w/ Tan Leather Interior
    5.3 L FLEX w/AFM, 6A, Cheap-*ss Mods
    32 Dump Club Member
    Range V8 AFM Eliminator

Default oil separator

Kyle, I apologize if it sounded like I was raggin' anyone who bought the Moroso, because I certainly wasn't. It is a better looking install, and if I had the bucks, I would do the same. Just wanted folks who may not know it that there is little diff in the performance of the various units. I meant no disrespect, Kyle. Heck, I voted for you for ROTM mainly because you spent the extra bucks on the Moroso, showing that you really care about how your ride looks. Jim
    Las Vegas, NV...2001 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Stepside X-cab, 171,000 miles, 5.3, cat-back duals, leveling kit, 3.73, 17" rims, more to come...

Well, I did the Jegs unit out of the gate, primarily to see how bad of an issue the oil in the PCV is. Well, I am convinced in total. So, the time to move up to a "serious" unit is in order. The best unit I have located is the RevXtreme can. This is one serious top tier unit that has 4, count 'em, 4 chambers. It will hold almost a quart of oil, so would last the entire OLM life cycle. This a a fantastic unit that is very cost effective....$139

http://www.revxtreme.com/performance...le-check-valve

Here is an article from him discussing the need for a PCV air/oil separator...

http://www.revxtreme.com/index.php?r...=17&news_id=21

and....

http://www.revxtreme.com/index.php?r...=17&news_id=20

Here is the design from a rough drawing the designer himself made....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RX Catch Can.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	53737
    Last edited by Cowpie; 07-22-2013 at 06:07 PM.
    2013 Silverado 1500 LT Z-71 Crew. 5.3L Auto. Range AFM Delete, PCV Catch Can, RC Leveling kit, Dynomax Ultra Flo cat back, Airaid M.I.T.

2013 Freightliner Columbia. pre-EGR Detroit 12.7L 500 hp 1850 lb torque, 18 speed.

Master Mechanic

Hmm, very nice. Wondering if that's actual size

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast