GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by KyleZ71 View Post
    Hmm, very nice. Wondering if that's actual size
    Look at the cans on the website. There are pictures of them next to valve cover and also one he is holding in his hand, so that would give you a perspective also.
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

For that price why not just purchase a Norgren or Watts separator? They are actually half the price. They are built for industrial use. I see them in foundries all the time. They last forever in the foundry environment. I can not think of any environment worse on equipment than a foundry. You have extreme heat and dirty sand everywhere .

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Pikey -
    I like to take a closer look at the Norgren and Watts units. Can you post the info on how to find them on line. Or you can pm me if want to.
    Thanks.
    Tom

Would like to see the internal of any of the oil catches you linked to and see what the design is and what the inside material/filter is made of. Even then, I would probably stick with my idea to put on a RX catch can. It isn't so much whether the ones you linked to are suitable for a foundry, I already played "let's see how this works" with the Jegs unit. Now I want to install something I know without any doubt would do the job right and is designed with this situation in mind. The $139 price for the RX can is not extreme, nor is the CCA can. After all, with those cans, it is the last one I would have to buy for the pickup. And since it only has 2082 miles on it, it would be a long, long time before I needed another can.

Cowpie - I feel you made a couple of good points. More food for thought!

Only that even with the Jegs unit, It has separated out just under a shot glass worth of oil in just over 1000 miles. Now if it isn't even getting it all, then I need to put one of those better catch cans on soon, if nothing more than to ease my mind.

Oh, and also, one of the units that was posted as "foundry" quality, was designed for water separation. Not sure how that filter in it would hold up to hot engine oil with the associated contaminates in the crankcase gasses. Not sure I would want to try a unit like that. I know that it is fun to play Popular Mechanics games now and again, but some things it is just simpler and better to use a product already developed for a particular purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowpie View Post
    Oh, and also, one of the units that was posted as "foundry" quality, was designed for water separation. Not sure how that filter in it would hold up to hot engine oil with the associated contaminates in the crankcase gasses. Not sure I would want to try a unit like that. I know that it is fun to play Popular Mechanics games now and again, but some things it is just simpler and better to use a product already developed for a particular purpose.
    Wow, @Cowpie, I take your response as an attempt to be insulting. While your comment on the hot engine oil and the filter element may hold true, your "popular Mechanics" comment is uncalled for. I believe that you could have gotten your point across without an insulting nature Of course I would not recommend using something that you are not comfortable with on your truck. I have had hundreds of these units apart and they are all the basically all the same on the inside, they actually look almost exactly the same as the jegs unit. Same "spun pvc" filter element. I was showing people that there are other options out there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cowpie View Post
    Wow, @Cowpie, I take your response as an attempt to be insulting. While your comment on the hot engine oil and the filter element may hold true, your "popular Mechanics" comment is uncalled for. I believe that you could have gotten your point across without an insulting nature Of course I would not recommend using something that you are not comfortable with on your truck. I have had hundreds of these units apart and they are all the basically all the same on the inside, they actually look almost exactly the same as the jegs unit. Same "spun pvc" filter element. I was showing people that there are other options out there.

But the comment is accurate. Sometimes it is best to not try and reinvent the wheel and let it become a popular mechanics project instead of just using what someone else has developed for the purpose at hand. Wasn't intended to insult, just state a fact. Sorry if I didn't realize this would be offensive to anyone. If what is trying to be done is something new, then it is understandable that one would have to be creative, assemble some possible components to get the job done, and then try and determine the best installation. But since this particular thing has been researched and components developed specifically for this purpose, it doesn't make sense to me to reinvent the wheel and waste time.

There are other options, for sure. But I am am selecting from the options that have been developed specifically for the task at hand. Not something that was developed for another arena or purpose and then try and see if it works for what I want. It just might work. I have no desire to experiment to see if it does. I want a quality solution the first time and be done with it. But then, I don't have as much time as I would like to toy with this kind of thing. Business and tasks around the farm only leave enough time to do something necessary.

An analogy to this is doing oil bypass setups on semi's. Amsoil has a pretty good unit, but you are pretty much on your own to determine what fittings you need, and a host of other things to do the install. Can rapidly eat up a lot of valuable time and effort. There are other brands, that have developed complete kits with everything you need to install, customized for your chassis/engine combination, and have the job done in one hour. Costs a little more but saves an equal amount of valuable time. I opted for the latter. To me, the first option is one of those popular mechanics projects. Fun for someone who has time on their hands and is looking for some satisfaction from being creative. Nothing wrong with that. I have a limited amount of time in my life to play around with such thing. I want a product that works correctly, is developed for my application, and is a quick easy install.

Again, if you took offense, it was not intended that way. Just a statement of fact.

I really liked this posted on the other forum:

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/PCV...oval%20102.pdf

Thanks for passing it on.
    The Cheap-*ss Modder & Thread Killer
    The Realist says, "The glass is too big".

2013 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z60 4WD Crew Cab
    Mineral Green Metallic w/ Tan Leather Interior
    5.3 L FLEX w/AFM, 6A, Cheap-*ss Mods
    32 Dump Club Member
    Range V8 AFM Eliminator

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 Last Post byLast Post by