GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Mechanic

Default STUPID! Ran out of fluids

I appear to have run out of water and oil on the same drive. Wife driving actually, but my bad for not checking fluids. Anyway, got oil into it and the pressure has climbed back and the clack is gone. I think I have that okay. The water was unbelievably low; and the temperature gauge quit working.

So, hopefully everything will be okay. Questions,

1) Just a temperature sending unit for the temperature gauge?
    2) Could running super low on water cause the engine to get so hot it boils the oil out? I haven't had any oil level issues for a while now. I really don't believe that to be the case and am offering myself up for laughter fodder, but just wanted to ask.

Thanks. Feel free to call me stupid. I deserve it this time.

Maury
    95 Chevy Silverado
    Beat up by hail and a faulty tow truck
    5.7L V-8
    251,000 miles

Blog Entries

Hah....I wouldn't worry too much...we all do stupid things.....just ask my wife....lol...also, imnot sure about oil boiling.....think it just gets thick and turns to gel...Brianfrom Canada
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

Jr. Mechanic

Thanks, Brian.

New question. Where is the temperature sending unit on the 1995 5.7 V8? Yea another thing my Haynes Repair Manual neglected to discuss.

Why does my truck always need things that Haynes doesn't think it will need?

- - - Updated - - -

Update; now that the truck has cooled, water is pouring out of the lower radiator hose up where it is connected to the water pump. I sure hope its the hose!
    95 Chevy Silverado
    5.7L V-8
    251,000 miles

On the 5.7L, the temperature sending unit that drives the gauge should be on the driver side head near the exhaust manifold. There should also be a second sensor that drives the computer on the front of the intake.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Jr. Mechanic

Okay, water was not pouring out of the hose that I replaced, it's coming from the weephole on the Water Pump. So, I plan to take it to my mechanic so he can change the water pump. I can do it, but I would just as soon he check it out first and make sure I didn't damage the engine beyond repair. He is about 4 miles away; I wonder if I can drive it that far with a faulty water pump without it overheating again. I suspect not and I should have it towed. Thoughts?

Another general question. Wife's car, not a Chevy but I like you guys better, is getting hotter than it should. It was having overheating issues last week and a radiator cap seems to have fixed 90 percent of the problem. We are however running pretty much straight water. Doe the antifreeze/coolant really help keep the temperature down?

Thanks,
    Maury
    95 Chevy Silverado
    5.7L V-8
    251,000 miles

4 miles should be ok. Coolant/anti-freeze is not going to help keep it cooler. It does have lubricating properties for the water pump that straight water does not have. I think that her car may need a thermostat.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Jr. Mechanic

Thanks Pikey. Now, would anyone like to argue with him on the thermostat? Which is in the bottom radiator hose on her Xterra? Which I have already purchased but do not want to change? I try and look for answers that tell me what I want, not the truth.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously though, thermostats are fascinating things. They can freeze shut completely and cause a car to overheat; they can freeze open and your heater takes forever to warm up, or it can be finicky like the one in the wife's car causing it to get hotter than normal but then cool back down again. It's like you can see when the valve opens because the needle drops back down.

I fear I will be changing it this week. Now to hope I didn't burn up the engine in the truck. It starts okay and has oil pressure; but what other damage could we have done. Gonna let my mechanic figure that out.
    95 Chevy Silverado
    5.7L V-8
    251,000 miles