GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Average Price?

Jr. Engineer

Default Average Price?

I have 2004 Silverado, details are in my sig.

I recently noticed it making an awful grinding noise at low speed and while breaking and a high pitched squeaking at high speed until the breaks are applied hard enough. I noticed a large gouge in the front left rotor. So I figured time for new Rotors and pads. Then I thought, well it's getting up there in age and mileage, so maybe I should put new ball joints, bearings, rotors, calipers, pads and shoes on. Thoughts? I won't have time to do it myself unfortunately, but how much would you estimate all of that would cost at an honest shop (I have a very reliable and honest mechanic). I bought it 4-5 years ago with 140,000km on it, now it has 240,000km on it.

So far I have replaced spark plugs, transmission fluid, transfer case and front & rear diff fluid (with AMSOIL) and the brakes haven't needed service since I bought it (they replaced a lot of them when I bought it as part of my conditions of purchase). I could easily get carried away here but I also wouldn't mind new shocks, leaf springs and it would probably be a good idea to replace the fuel filter and change the air filter again. I plan to keep it at least another 3-5 years.

Any comments are appreciated!
    SEAFOAM, I PUT THAT @#!$ IN EVERYTHING!

2004 Silverado LS 5.3L Z71 Crew Cab
    260,000+ km

I would not worry about new calipers and bearings (hubs) unless they are failing, which it does not sound like they are. I don't know what most shops charge to do new rotors and pads. I was in a shop a few weeks ago and I heard them quote a guy $230 for pads all the way around. I have seen dealers offer pads for $99 an axle, but that does not include rotors.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Charles 02 z71 Cladded Avy
    Mods: eBay k&n Intake, highflow magnaflow cats & y pipe, 6" FabTech lift, 35" Pro Comps, Superchips #2715, SnugTop, 4.56's, MOOG front end
    Wishes: LQ4 + a beefed up 4L60E

A couple years ago, my truck failed the yearly state inspection due to the parking brake not holding. I took it to Pep Boys to get the P-brake working again and they said they needed to replace the rear rotors (but oddly enough, not the fronts???). Two new rear rotors and whatever else needed to be done to get the P-brake working cost me a little over $400.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!