GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: What Size Tires

Default What Size Tires

Do I need to run? I've got the OEM 17" and found a killer deal on some 22"s rims. What size could i run and not throw the speedo off much? Would some 275/45/22 be close? I know what few I found wasn't exactly cheap! lol

Just my opinion and that's worth about $ .02. I would put on my track shoes and run like H@## ! The cost of tires seems to go up considerably for every inch of rim dia. No one can explain that to me without my B.S. detector going off. 17" are more expensive than 16" for stock or oem size with the same tread width, same od, same load rating & etc. Anything above 17 is out of sight on tire cost. My local tire shop likes the big rims - he just starts counting his profit when someone rolls up to the door with 18" and up ! Just my opinion, KEN

Quote Originally Posted by grampy View Post
    Just my opinion and that's worth about $ .02. I would put on my track shoes and run like H@## ! The cost of tires seems to go up considerably for every inch of rim dia. No one can explain that to me without my B.S. detector going off. 17" are more expensive than 16" for stock or oem size with the same tread width, same od, same load rating & etc. Anything above 17 is out of sight on tire cost. My local tire shop likes the big rims - he just starts counting his profit when someone rolls up to the door with 18" and up ! Just my opinion, KEN
    You know, I came to that conclusion when I woke up this morning. 17" good tires are high enough for me! lol

Default 22" rims on a silverado

If you want to keep the same tire height with a 22" rim, you better have a good grip on the wheel, and some extra padding in the seat. A short tire on a 22" rim will have a very short sidewall, and is going to ride like a tank.
    Las Vegas, NV...2001 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Stepside X-cab, 171,000 miles, 5.3, cat-back duals, leveling kit, 3.73, 17" rims, more to come...

I agree.... and with a short sidewall hitting a pothole you're going to bend your wheel.

I also can't figure out why 20" wheels are so much more $$ than 17". If the tire height is the same, there is less material in the 20" . Such a scam.

Default which tires?

K, you wrote "wheels", but I think you meant "tires", correct? Three things drive the price of everything you buy, from apples to wheels...cost to bring to market, demand for the item, and availability. In the case of the 20" tire, there are not nearly as many made as 17" tires, so average cost is higher. There is a high demand, driving the price up. And, there is relatively low availability. You are right about there being (generally) less material, but material is only a portion of the price of any item. Personally, I can't imagine spending twice as much for a tire that will ride twice as hard, and wear out twice as fast....but I'm old.
    Las Vegas, NV...2001 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Stepside X-cab, 171,000 miles, 5.3, cat-back duals, leveling kit, 3.73, 17" rims, more to come...

Yep. Meant tire...

Quote Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
    K, you wrote "wheels", but I think you meant "tires", correct? Three things drive the price of everything you buy, from apples to wheels...cost to bring to market, demand for the item, and availability. In the case of the 20" tire, there are not nearly as many made as 17" tires, so average cost is higher. There is a high demand, driving the price up. And, there is relatively low availability. You are right about there being (generally) less material, but material is only a portion of the price of any item. Personally, I can't imagine spending twice as much for a tire that will ride twice as hard, and wear out twice as fast....but I'm old.
    This. ALL of this.

And tire prices don't get too crazy until you get above 18". Most 15/16/17" tires can be had for the same price. Of course, some of that depends on where you get them from.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy69 View Post
    Do I need to run? I've got the OEM 17" and found a killer deal on some 22"s rims. What size could i run and not throw the speedo off much? Would some 275/45/22 be close? I know what few I found wasn't exactly cheap! lol
    What year truck? The NNBS can handle 22s easily.

You can also get a re-programmer to tell the ECU what the tire height is.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors