GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2004 Suburban with P0332 Engine Code

We had a serious storm last weekend - 3 inches in an hour - and I ended up on a street with very high water. I saw the water almost up to the lights on a car. I have a 2004 Suburban and did not go that far down the street before turning around however the water was still high. The check engine light came on a couple of days later - P0332.

I've seen a lot of information on the net about it and conclude that water has gotten into connections or around the knock sensor itself. I had it scanned at Autozone. The employee suggested disconnecting the negative battery terminal - 30 minutes - to reset the code. I took a 3 hour trip last night, the check engine light came back halfway.

It doesn't appear the the battery cable trick was the correct thing to do - My climate control is now not working correctly - it always blows out the defroster vents regardless of position setting.

My questions:

1. I'm really not noticing engine knocking or pinging. Does it hurt to take the truck on a 500 mile trip this coming weekend or should I consider alternate transportation? I'm considering purchasing a scanner from Harbor Freight today to correctly clear out the code to see if it comes back. Is the Centech #98614 for $119.99 robust enough?

2. I've seen several different methods to reset the climate control. What is a correct method?

Thanks ...

In regards to the knock sensor issue, I've found that on my 2004 Silverado that the rear knock sensor becomes rusted over time. This is the 5.3L engine with a front and rear knock sensor under the intake manifold. This may be what is causing your onboard computer to throw the knock sensor code.

Maybe cleaning the sensor up would fix this issue, but all the times I've been under there I just replace the sensor with a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by bt2001bt View Post
    We had a serious storm last weekend - 3 inches in an hour - and I ended up on a street with very high water. I saw the water almost up to the lights on a car. I have a 2004 Suburban and did not go that far down the street before turning around however the water was still high. The check engine light came on a couple of days later - P0332.

I've seen a lot of information on the net about it and conclude that water has gotten into connections or around the knock sensor itself. I had it scanned at Autozone. The employee suggested disconnecting the negative battery terminal - 30 minutes - to reset the code. I took a 3 hour trip last night, the check engine light came back halfway.

It doesn't appear the the battery cable trick was the correct thing to do - My climate control is now not working correctly - it always blows out the defroster vents regardless of position setting.

My questions:

1. I'm really not noticing engine knocking or pinging. Does it hurt to take the truck on a 500 mile trip this coming weekend or should I consider alternate transportation? I'm considering purchasing a scanner from Harbor Freight today to correctly clear out the code to see if it comes back. Is the Centech #98614 for $119.99 robust enough?

2. I've seen several different methods to reset the climate control. What is a correct method?

Thanks ...

Unhappy knock sensor problem 2004 suburban 5.3 engine

i have a 2004 suburban. 5.3 engine. replaced valve cover gaskets, washed engine off next day the check eng light came on. put a scanner on it and it gave a code po332 knock sensor 2 signal short\low. can anybody tell me whats going on with that.

sometimes the can come one when they get wet. I had a 03 silverado throwing a 02 sensor code, drove it enough and it went out on its own and stayed out. just have to heat it up enough long enough to dry things out. take it for what you will, it may work, it may not,

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Master Mechanic

Hey everybody,

When I was up at Gettysburg being line security for the 150th, on the way home I got two check engine lights
    P0332 - Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Low Input (bank 2)
    P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/ Performance

I'm a about 99% sure the P0101 is a dirty Mass Air Flow Sensor, which I can clean no problem. The one that I am confused about is the P0332. Right after the codes, I cleaned the intake manifold and replaced both knock sensors with brand new ones. Now about 50 miles later the codes are back. Could it be a "bad" new knock sensor or something more serious. Thanks for any feedback.

- - - Updated - - -

hate to bump it but was curious
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Master Mechanic

Recleared the codes but they still came back. The truck lost a lot of power in the low rpms (pulling away from a stop light for example)
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .