GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default porting and polishing tbi and intake

I am wanting to add more power to my 01 1500 4x4 and wanted to know if porting and polishing the tbi and intake would be a good idea. I already have a cai and I’ll be putting on shorty headers and a cat back exhaust as well as a custom tune from Diablo. Later on Im wanting to put in a comp cam but I don’t have the cash now. Anyways…. Is porting and polishing a good or bad idea?

Porting and polishing when done correctly is a great idea, doesnt cost much, time and new gaskets.
    Tips I learned long ago:
    use die makers blueing or ink to find excess material.
    be very careful removing material, its easier to remove more later than try to add material.
    be very careful around water jackets and oil passages, you dont want to remove so much that you cause a wall to rupture.
    Make sure when removing material around or near gasket surfaces to ensure you leave smooth flat sealable surface and ensure you trim gaskets accordingly.

do the plastic intakes on the ls motors have oil passages?

Master Mechanic

Not that I believe. When I was cleaning mine I did not see any, but I may be wrong.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

The throttle body looks simple enough. Does anyone know how to do the intake?

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by newcheylover View Post
    The throttle body looks simple enough. Does anyone know how to do the intake?
    I heard a lot of people stay away from it because of the fact that it is plastic. There was a guy online that did it to Trailblazer SS intakes but warned of them cracking

O I think ill just stick to the throttle body

you can port the TB fairly easy i did mine, as far as the intake id just buy a Tbss intake. for cheap mods you can also do the cooliant bypass, and even elc fans. i made me a set for $125
    2004 gmc sierra ext z71 5.3
    PERFORMANCE...
    KB racing hot pipes 3.5" : 76mm turbo: 4l80e : Circle-d 2b multi disk :Walbro 400 : Racetronix Hotwire kit : TB coolant bypass : Nelson 91 Pcm : Tr 220 Cam : Brian Tooley double springs kit : Ls7 Lifters : Stage 3 heads : Custom Intake Manifold :80lb Injectors : Ported TB : 40k tranny cooler: Plx dm-100 gauge: Auto meter fuel and boost gauge:
    APPEARANCE...
    Custom Speedo : Leveling kit :Smoked led taillights and 3rd break light : Black projectors and fogs with hids : Blacked out grille : 33's on 16's : Clarion flip screen: sound que 12" subs: clerion 6x9's : Memhpis amps: Alpine componet set.
    Future mods... Detriot tru-trac, deviels own stage 2 meth kit, MORE BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!