GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Is Dexcool really required?

Hello,

I added a small amount of green antifreeze to my organization's Chevy 1500. I later noticed a sticker that stated to add only Dexcool antifreeze and that anything else could shorten the the required time between coolant changes. So, I have a few questions: 1) Will non Dexcool coolant really shorten the required time as stated or is this a product markup? 2) If it is bad to have added a different kind of antifreeze, is it as simple as just shortening the life of the coolant in the system or can the results be more dire (i.e. corrosion to the engine or radiator)? and 3) If you recommend flushing the system and putting straight Dexcool back in, can I use the flushed Dexcool/green mixture safely in other vehicles that take regular antifreeze? To clarify, I added perhaps a half gallon or less of the green into our Chevy's system. Thanks for your help,

Andrew

2. Thanks mfleetwood thanked for this post
    Likes mfleetwood liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by missionwolf View Post
    Hello,

I added a small amount of green antifreeze to my organization's Chevy 1500. I later noticed a sticker that stated to add only Dexcool antifreeze and that anything else could shorten the the required time between coolant changes. So, I have a few questions: 1) Will non Dexcool coolant really shorten the required time as stated or is this a product markup? 2) If it is bad to have added a different kind of antifreeze, is it as simple as just shortening the life of the coolant in the system or can the results be more dire (i.e. corrosion to the engine or radiator)? and 3) If you recommend flushing the system and putting straight Dexcool back in, can I use the flushed Dexcool/green mixture safely in other vehicles that take regular antifreeze? To clarify, I added perhaps a half gallon or less of the green into our Chevy's system. Thanks for your help,

Andrew
    Don't do it!!!

My buddy owns a repair shop and says that Dexcool mixed with green antifreeze can cause a brown sludge to form in your radiator. This is the whole reason that Dexcool is colored and orange/red and regular antifreeze is colored green.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

4. Likes JTWard, mfleetwood liked this post
    I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

Thumbs up

I don't know what year your truck is, but you should go and have the system flushed and refill with DexCool. DexCool is a required coolant in most all GM vehicles after 1995, if I'm not wrong. But DexCool chemistry behind DexCool is such that it will not harm the environment if there is an accident or leakage. The formula is such that if it is exposed to air, it neutralize itself. With ethylene Glycol or Green coolant, if spilled it is poison to any and all animals who might ingest it. The internet is full of horror stories of and about DexCool, but the problems with vehicles that had problems were due to an idiots design of head and intake manifold gaskets, not the coolant. But once more, The Green coolant will cause a problem with the DexCool as the two are totally different chemicals. You made a simple mistake, protect your engine and go ahead and have it flushed out and refill with DexCool, FWIW, DexCool has a useful life of 5 years, I am going to have my other car which came from Bowling Green with DexCool and I change it every 5 years like clockwork.

6. Likes mfleetwood liked this post

Like stchman said, DO NOT mix Dexcool with other antifreezes!!

I had a buddy do that to his Silverado and it corroded through his radiator. Dexcool only!! If you want to change to non-Dexcool antifreeze, you'll have to do a complete/thorough flush.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

8. Likes mfleetwood liked this post

I heard that mixing Dexcool with green antifreeze can form a gel-like substance that stops coolant to flow which can lead to engine overheating.

10. Likes mfleetwood liked this post

It states on every bottle of Dex-cool that if it is mixed with green antifreeze it dramatically shortens the life of the coolant. Also in some cases cheap green coolant can turn Dex cool into acid that can damage the radiator and engine.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

12. Thanks mfleetwood thanked for this post