GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by JTWard View Post
    Well I'm not positive. I have poured over "Randy's Ring & Pinion" and they list it as both a 28 & 30, but if you squirrel down the lists you come to the 28 spline as being in a stock C1500 1990 2WD. Then there's the type of differential, 1. Yukon Dura-Grip, 2. Detroit Locker 3. Eaton Posi-traction and 4. True-Trac limited slip ? There are customer reviews, and to tell you the truth, not one of them were real great response's, the Yuko dura-grip was Ok if you added twice the amount of limited ship oil, the Detroit locker was noisy and didn't give very good traction in sand or mud. The other Eaton was out of my price range @ $1000.00 and had no reviews and that left 5. the True-Trac limited slip. It only got one review and it was positive and it doesn't need any limited slip oil, only regular gear oil. Now there wasn't enough real customer reviews to get any real time experiences, but it seems to me that the one differential with the most use is the Yukon Dura-grip. But of course it only worked well if you doubled up on the limited slip oil ? So . . .
    This is a revolting development. Sounds to me like you're right back where you didn't want to be...pull an axle and count the splines. For what it's worth, I sent an email to LMC and they are adamant. If it is a stock 10 bolt, and it's a 1990, they say it is a 30 spline. I respect Randy's Ring and Pinion, but for years I have used LMC for stock part numbers as well as the info to buy stuff. (They have great stuff, they're just too high). I guess the only way to know for sure is to pull one....

Sirwriter

I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

I believe it IS a 30 spline axle differential, but I'm not sure of which "Traction device" (as Randy's ring & Pinion) refers to them The reviews are much help, but I'm leaning to a 30 spline, I did as you suggested and went through my latest LMC catalog and they are pretty clear if it's a 1990 1/2 ton and is a 10 bolt rear, then it's a 30 spline. So I think my only last obstacle is what kind of posi unit I buy. Please let me know of your experiences, but as I said it looks both financially and physically to be the Yukon Dura-grip is the best differential for the money. I can't afford a $900.00 Eaton unit ?

According to LMC 1988 came with a 28 or 30 spline. 89-98 came with 30 spline only. Those are only for 10 bolts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JTWard View Post
    I believe it IS a 30 spline axle differential, but I'm not sure of which "Traction device" (as Randy's ring & Pinion) refers to them The reviews are much help, but I'm leaning to a 30 spline, I did as you suggested and went through my latest LMC catalog and they are pretty clear if it's a 1990 1/2 ton and is a 10 bolt rear, then it's a 30 spline. So I think my only last obstacle is what kind of posi unit I buy. Please let me know of your experiences, but as I said it looks both financially and physically to be the Yukon Dura-grip is the best differential for the money. I can't afford a $900.00 Eaton unit ?
    For the traction devices The Dura Grip is the best overall and the Auburn is the worst according to their chart.

I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

That was my impression I got as well. I'm going with the 30 spline and I'm pretty sure it will be right. I'll get new bearing and seals pressed on the axles while I have them out as well. No sense doing the same job twice. Thank you !

Worst thing that can happen is you send it back and get the right part

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12