GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    The people filling their tires with nitrogen are the same people using oil treatments in their crankcase instead of good synthetic oil. Popular Mechanics has a article about this, can't remember what issue but I do remember the author stating the only benefit of using it would be if you were driving around on Mount Everest. Whatever that would mean. It's a scam, much like many automotive quick fixes for things that are not broken. There is even arguments on what percentage of nitrogen one should use in their tires. Ridiculous.
    Odd. I've spoke with several people that use it and even use it myself. Verdict is in.... I get 2mpg increase in fuel mileage and improved tire wear. Read all you want, but first hand personal experience always prevails...
    Chuckie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BurbanMan View Post
    . I get 2mpg increase in fuel mileage .
    BurbanMan, welcome to the club; but, how is that possible?

Pressure is pressure, round is round. Air is 78% nitrogen, you've replaced the remaining 22% with nitrogen and picked up a 10 to 14% improvement in mpg.
    Sorry, can't buy it.
    Last edited by RayVoy; 07-31-2013 at 07:29 PM.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by BurbanMan View Post
    Odd. I've spoke with several people that use it and even use it myself. Verdict is in.... I get 2mpg increase in fuel mileage and improved tire wear. Read all you want, but first hand personal experience always prevails...
    If you do get that claimed extra 2 MPG that comes from keeping your tires properly inflated, the nitro has nothing to do with it. I could claim many reasons for getting an extra 1-2 mpg and all of them would be more legit than nitro in my tires. I'm not going to reply here anymore just because I think it's a pointless conversation.

The city I live in provides free nitrogen tire inflation. I figure when I get some time, I will go up and have it done. If I can get it for free why not, but I don't expect any measurable increase in fuel economy.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    The city I live in provides free nitrogen tire inflation. I figure when I get some time, I will go up and have it done. If I can get it for free why not, but I don't expect any measurable increase in fuel economy.
    That's what I did 6mo ago

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123