GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Brake caliper bolts?

Is this the way they're supposed to be? Is this another example of idiotic GM engineering? No wonder they went bankrupt. My front calipers have hex head bolts but the back ones have torx. WTF?? Of course I have a set of torx sockets that goes up to T50 (too small) and a single T60 I bought years ago for GM brakes (too big) GAAAA

'01 K2500 496 big block It's here! It's here! It's finally here!

You should replace them with regular bolts.
    2000 Silverado 5.3L Z71 4x4: K&N air filter, Procomp 16x8 rims, 285/70R16 Toyo AT2s, Kenwood head unit, Alpine 500.1 amp, 12" kicker, Infinity 5.25" speakers, Bilstein HD shocks, EBC GD Sport dimple & slotted front rotors w. EBC green stuff pads, Brembo slotted rear rotors & HIDs.

Master Mechanic

Go to Napa, I know they carry the hex head bolts
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Quote Originally Posted by ridick_bowen View Post
    You should replace them with regular bolts.

That requires me getting them out which means buying another torx socket. I think I'll wait until the pads need replacing.

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by blackburb View Post
    That requires me getting them out which means buying another torx socket. I think I'll wait until the pads need replacing.
    Most stores will lone them out or actually let you borrow without cost (depending on what store you go to)

Most the time if they are hex bolts then they have been replaced before. All the bolts that I have seen from the factory are T-55 Torx for the front and hex for rear calipers (on 1999-2006 models)
    Before someone jumps all over me for posting incorrect info, This is what I have seen on my 2002, 2003, and 2005 GM trucks, not to mention the multiple GM trucks belonging to friends and family that I work on. On my 2005 someone striped out on of the front caliper torx bolt heads. I was able to get one out, loosen the bracket, remove the pads and brake line, and then slide the entire caliper off. I heated the crap out of the bolt just because I wanted to see if I could get it out (knowing that I would probably have to replace the caliper because I was going to melt rubber), I could not get that thing out for the life of me.
    Last edited by Pikey; 07-11-2013 at 01:38 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by blackburb View Post
    Is this the way they're supposed to be? Is this another example of idiotic GM engineering? No wonder they went bankrupt. My front calipers have hex head bolts but the back ones have torx. WTF?? Of course I have a set of torx sockets that goes up to T50 (too small) and a single T60 I bought years ago for GM brakes (too big) GAAAA
    My 2001 is the other way around. What is going on with GM?
    My front calipers use TORX while the rears use HEX head.
    2011 Chevy Silverado LT 4WD 30k miles
    2001 Suburban 2WD, 5.3, V8 185k miles
    1993 964
    1996 318TI