GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default 2013 Silverado 1500 factory hitch.

After looking through my owners manual, I cannot find ANYTHING about the factory hitch rating.

Where does one find the factory hitch ratings?

Thanks.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Without going out to look at mine, is there an info plate on the platform?
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    After looking through my owners manual, I cannot find ANYTHING about the factory hitch rating.

Thanks.
    Hey there,

I see you have a questions about factory hitch ratings. I am happy to assist you. Please private message me any specific questions you have about factory hitch ratings.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care

Factory hitch as in on your bumper? or do you have a factory tow pckg? at any rate i think that information may be contained on the sticker on the side of the door or on the inside of the body where the door opens, it should state tire pressures, gvwr, and max tow ratings.

ETA: I found this chart for towing capacities online here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...ity-chart6.htm

This is for 2009 year model trucks but should be similar if not the same for your same generation truck.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tow-capacity.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	53650

Also: does anyone happen to know why the avalanche has a higher capacity than the silverado 1500? Do those come with >5.3L engines? i just noticed that according to this chart both the avalanche, and the suburban can tow greater capacities than the 1500
    Last edited by Bowtied; 07-16-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drwombat View Post
    Factory hitch as in on your bumper? or do you have a factory tow pckg? at any rate i think that information may be contained on the sticker on the side of the door or on the inside of the body where the door opens, it should state tire pressures, gvwr, and max tow ratings.

ETA: I found this chart for towing capacities online here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...ity-chart6.htm

This is for 2009 year model trucks but should be similar if not the same for your same generation truck.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tow-capacity.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	53650

Also: does anyone happen to know why the avalanche has a higher capacity than the silverado 1500? Do those come with >5.3L engines? i just noticed that according to this chart both the avalanche, and the suburban can tow greater capacities than the 1500
    Also from that chart a 2500HD can tow more than a 3500HD. I am not going to really trust that chart.

I have the factory towing package with what appears to be a class III or IV hitch attached to the frame. I would just like to know that the tow rating of that factory hitch is.

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler

i believe the 3500 is reflective of the dually model which weighs more, so it has to pull less to achieve its max towing capacity, i may be wrong on that but just a hunch. that may also explain the differences in towing capacities of the other vehicles i was asking about above.

Quote Originally Posted by drwombat View Post
    i believe the 3500 is reflective of the dually model which weighs more, so it has to pull less to achieve its max towing capacity, i may be wrong on that but just a hunch. that may also explain the differences in towing capacities of the other vehicles i was asking about above.
    From the owners manual, both the 2500HD and 3500HD can two the same weight when equipped with the same engine and axle ratio.

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler

Default Go to Chevy online

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post

Thanks.
    Hitch ratings are not much concern when trying to figure out your tow capacity really. The hitch is a mere percentage of your tow cap. Go to Chevrolet online and the specs will provide the info. I will warn you. I just traded my '07 Silverado 1500 Classic 5.3 with the HD Tow pkg for a '13 Silverado 2500HD. I am towing a 35' travel trailer weighing in @ 6200lb. My 1500 pulled my trailer fine no problem with my 7800lb Tow Cap (I had the 3.23 Axle) however; it was my braking and suspension that was cause for concern and I do have the Equalizer Weight Distributing Hitch for my trailer.

It wasn't really bad, wasn't a sever issue or anything like that, I was just being cautious is all while traveling with my family in the truck with me when towing through the NC mountains. More to consider when towing than just max cap, etc etc etc.

Feel free to message me if you have any more questions and want to discuss more detail.

Tony
    '13 Silverado 2500 | Crew Cab 2WD W/T | Vortec 6.0 | Diablew Tune |
    (Various Chrome items & Bestop Tonneau...)