GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2001 Silverado 4.8L Auto 2WD: Is my power steering about to go out on me?

It happened again over the weekend and that's now the third time in about a year. Occasionally, if I take a turn either too sharply and/or too fast, after I complete the turn, there is a horrible whine coming from my engine bay. After which, the whine occurs every time I turn the wheel, regardless of how much or which direction. This tells me it's the power steering but I don't know for sure. The whine lasts until I park the truck and turn it off. Has this happened to anyone else. Is my power steering failing?
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Sometimes when you turn the wheel to lock it can cause the fluid in your pump to foam. I suspect that after you shut it off the foam subsides and then everything runs fine. It could be that your fluid is low enough that when you turn to lock all of the fluid moves to one side of the rack emptying the pump and causing foaming. When is the last time you changed the fluid? How is the fluid level? Do you have any leaks, even small leaks can be a source of air being sucked into the system in certain situations

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I'm not aware of any leaks, although I have never deliberately checked for any. I have never changed the fluid; it's OE.

Legend

when you make a hard full turn the pump goes into high pressure. sounds like it is locking up in that mode. I would replace the power steering fluid. my recommendation with normal mileage is to replace this fluid at the 7 year mark. GM offers NO fluid replacement with this. other manufactures recommend this at the 100,ooo mile mark or sooner.

If you do this make sure both front wheels are off the ground when refilling and turning the steering wheel to get the air out. if the wheels are on the ground the pump will be damaged.

Jr. Apprentice

I have an '03 Sierra 2500 Hd with 186k on it and my power steering pump whines a little bit, I bought some of the Tranny and Ps cleaner from Seafoam and am going to clean it out with that and refill it, just need to find out how much Ps fluid it takes to fill it back up.
    Master Mason E.F.W. Ellis Lodge #633 Rockford, Il A.F.&A.M. Independent Amsoil Dealer

'04 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Ext. Cab WT