GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Hybrid View

Default 88 C1500 Engine Swap Question

I have an 88 C1500 with a 305 and I want to install a remanufactured 350 but I don't kniw what to order. There are so many options such as a two or four bolt main and different lifters and such and I don't want to spend 1500 dollars for the wrong thing. What do I have to look for when ordering an engine so it will bolt right up to my 4l60e? I've done a ton of research to no avail. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jr. Mechanic

Let me try to help. A 305 and a 350 use the same block and head design. Cylinder diameter is the only difference. If you want to put a 350 4 bolt main in your truck it will bolt right in. Try to keep the engine years pretty close together (Let's say '88-'93). As far as lifters and such, that's all internal components that doesn't affect bolt in. One more question? Is the '88 305 carbureted or throttle body?

Okay thanks. It is throttle body injected. What is the difference between a long and short block?

Short block is a partially assembled engine it requires alot of parts to run. A long block is a partially assembled engine that requires some parts to run. When i say some i mean it needs a skilled mechanic, cleaning your old parts from an existing motor or buying; valve covers, oil pan, timing cover, intake manifold, water pump, distributor and a bunch more, you gotta set the timing, all that crap. If you can't built a motor don't buy one of those. Buy a turn key motor, it's ready to run outa the box, has been tested and ran, timing is set, has EVERYTHING! Just needs a home.
    1998 K1500 Extended Cab Short Bed.
    Z71-HD Chassis-Locker-3.73s-Skid Plates-3rd Door-Transmission Cooler-Tow Package-5.7L

Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that; it's called EVERYBODY. They meet at the local bar.

Wow that's completely different than what I would have guessed. About how much would a turn key engine cost me? I've been looking them up for a while but it seems like the cheapest is around 5000. Is that typically what they go for or am I searching for the wrong thing?

It's a lot. Keep the 305 (5.0l). If you're looking for power there's plenty of head and cam packages available for 1500-2500 dollars that would put you between 350 and 400 hp and tq. Also depending on the miles you'd prolly wanna rebuild the motor. The 305 kits are cheap, around $300. 2 buddies, a smart phone, Hayes Manuel, torque and tolerances, tools, cherry picker, engine stand, 2 cases of beer and a weekend can have that done.

I'd rather install a 350 because it wiuld give me more options for upgrading it and they seem to be more reliable based on what I have read online. I have been driving my 305 as a daily driver for months now with no oil pressure so I doubt it's in any decent condition. Wouldn't rebuilding the 305 be more of a pain than just getting a long block? I was looking at this one: http://m.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12568758
    A turn key engine seems unnecessary considering I still have the parts from my 305 that I can switch over. I have never built an engine but I have done just about everything else to old cars and trucks over the years so now would be a good time to learn if it came down to it.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Right
    I like your idea-Forget rebuilding the 305-all that machine work?? all that time-learning curve-
    just use that engine from Summit-it seems to be an actual GM engine??
    you will easily be able to bolt on your intake manifold tbi dist etc might buy a new water pump-or rebuilt
    yeah forget the turn key stuff-too expensive-forget rebuilding-heck it would still be a 305-and all the machining etc more potential for something to get screwed up-or to make a mistake reassembling it-and having to pull the engine-and fix redo something-learning curve-first time i do something complicated-fair chance I will screw it up-spending more time and money re-doing it-learning curve
    Luck
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Right
    I like your idea-Forget rebuilding the 305-all that machine work?? all that time-learning curve-
    just use that engine from Summit-it seems to be an actual GM engine??
    you will easily be able to bolt on your intake manifold tbi dist etc might buy a new water pump-or rebuilt
    yeah forget the turn key stuff-too expensive-forget rebuilding-heck it would still be a 305-and all the machining etc more potential for something to get screwed up-or to make a mistake reassembling it-and having to pull the engine-and fix redo something-learning curve-first time i do something complicated-fair chance I will screw it up-spending more time and money re-doing it-learning curve
    Luck
    Charlie
    @charlie I agree with that. Depending on your knowledge, and the possible machine work. But then again a long block is still alot of work.
    @wolf424242 We all have our opinions.. But Mr. Wolf you're gonna have to do what best fits your ability and budget. Frankly there is no easy way or cheap for that matter.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Catastrophe

Right- no free lunch. Nothing easy or cheap about changing an engine
    The long block-more or less what he is getting except I think the one he selected comes with valve covers-maybe with a oil pan
    Below is the list of stuff-plenty of work involved

e: Chevrolet Performance 350 C.I.D. VIN Code K Engine Assemblies
    Summit Racing Part Number: NAL-12568758
    Engine Assembly Style: Long block
    Crate Engine Cylinder Head Material: Cast iron
    Assembled: Yes
    Engine Balance: Internal/External
    Intake Manifold Included: No
    Cylinder Heads Included: Yes
    Carburetor Included: No
    Throttle Body Included: No
    Distributor Included: No
    Oil Pan Included: Yes
    Valve Covers Included: Yes
    Timing Cover Included: Yes
    Water Pump Included: No
    Harmonic Balancer Included: Yes
    Flexplate Included: No
    Flywheel Included: No
    Air Cleaner Included: No
    Spark Plugs Included: No
    Spark Plug Wires Included: No
    Computer Included: No
    Wiring Harness Included: No
    Rear Main Seal Style: 1-piece

So yeah-pile of work-dist water pump flex plate flywheel etc- plenty of work-and plenty of ways to goof-
    I'm not sure if the 305 and 350 flywheel flex plate interchange-and are they "bolt on" or do you actually have to balance then in some fashion?? Guessing they are bolt on-but wouldn't be surprised to find out there is something tricky about "bolting them on"

Still the drop in engines-are soooo expensive-
    Nothing easy or cheap about changing an engine-

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by