GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Looking for some headers.

Hi;

I'm looking around for some headers. I want that rumble that you get from them; however, I don't want to sacrifice much of my fuel economy. Should I go with long tubes or shorties? Also; do any of you know where I can find a used pair? Perhaps from another member. I have a 2004 Vortec V8. Thanks in advance!
    2004 GMC Sierra SLE 1500; Vortec V8 LR4; Stock: 270285 hp
    Mods: Wade Bug Deflector Smoke Color

From eveything I have heard shortys are a waste. Get on peformancetrucks.net and check out their classifieds. There is always go-fast parts for sale over there.

________2013 4C Rated__________

Here is a set of long tubes. They have ones without the Y pipe as well http://www.calspeedperformance.com/category_s/74.htm Long tubes will give you better performance
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Thanks all; I was actually interested in long tubes. Appreciate those links!

Master Mechanic

I remember watching muscle car on spike, and they put a LS engine on the stand and tested it with stock manifolds, shorties, and long tubes. The shorties gave the best bang for the buck (cost vs gain). The biggest gain was with the long tubes on mid to high rpms.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Quote Originally Posted by KyleZ71 View Post
    I remember watching muscle car on spike, and they put a LS engine on the stand and tested it with stock manifolds, shorties, and long tubes. The shorties gave the best bang for the buck (cost vs gain). The biggest gain was with the long tubes on mid to high rpms.
    If I remember right I think shorties are supposed to do better on the low rpm torque (maybe why Banks calls em torque tubes). long tube Headers more top end power. The long tube pacesetters are under $300 in the link above. Now the Kooks are almost $900

- - - Updated - - -

Now a problem with headers is getting them in a vehicle and two a lot have leak issues at the manifold.

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    If I remember right I think shorties are supposed to do better on the low rpm torque (maybe why Banks calls em torque tubes). long tube Headers more top end power. The long tube pacesetters are under $300 in the link above. Now the Kooks are almost $900

- - - Updated - - -

Now a problem with headers is getting them in a vehicle and two a lot have leak issues at the manifold.

And tri y's are suppost to be the best of both worlds, and almost twice the cost

I really like PaceSetter. I had them on my V6 Firebird. May get some for the truck. Plus; it's always reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleZ71 View Post
    Everything I have ever read show long tube headers as being better for gaining torque/power over low to mid range RPM... because they are better at creating a vacuum to pull out the spent exhaust gases. That's the main reason I chose them... just do a search on the internet looking for short tube vs long tube headers.

On another note... either way you go short or long tube will be better than the stock manifolds.
    Last edited by TimTom64b; 07-15-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

I've been searching and decided to go with these. http://http://www.summitracing.com/p...el/sierra-1500

I've always liked PaceSetter headers. I had some on my V6 3.8L. Plus; it's the best bang for the buck. I can always coat them myself.