GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Squeel in a/c

Default Squeel in a/c

I have 2003 Tahoe LT with 5.3L engine, I have a bad squeal when the A/C is turned on. Last year I replaced the fan belt about six months ago. Would replacing the tenser fix the squeal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Guys and girls, Eric

Sr. Apprentice

hi
    Belts under the hood are exposed to high temperature, dirt, water, oil, and high tension. As they age, they get brittle, they crack, they develop a glaze, and they slip. If they start to squeal, you can either tighten them or replace them. Replacing them is the better option, because once they start squealing, they don't have much life left. You can only tighten them so much before they are too tight. If they are too tight they may snap, and they can damage the compressor bearings.

I was told that you should replace the tensioner as well, the belt is not even 6 months old. What do you think Mark

You sure it's under the hood. Mine started sqealing. Turned out to be a failing bearing in my blower motor. Then again, it's pretty obviouswhen the screaming is coming out of the vents.

The only time when the squealing happens is when I turn on the air. Eric

Could very well be the tensioner. Have you Turned on the engine and A/C and left it in park and gotten out and tried to pinpoint the sound in the engine bay or have you only heard it in the cab while driving?
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

sounds like a blower motor to me...?
    2004 gmc sierra ext z71 5.3
    PERFORMANCE...
    KB racing hot pipes 3.5" : 76mm turbo: 4l80e : Circle-d 2b multi disk :Walbro 400 : Racetronix Hotwire kit : TB coolant bypass : Nelson 91 Pcm : Tr 220 Cam : Brian Tooley double springs kit : Ls7 Lifters : Stage 3 heads : Custom Intake Manifold :80lb Injectors : Ported TB : 40k tranny cooler: Plx dm-100 gauge: Auto meter fuel and boost gauge:
    APPEARANCE...
    Custom Speedo : Leveling kit :Smoked led taillights and 3rd break light : Black projectors and fogs with hids : Blacked out grille : 33's on 16's : Clarion flip screen: sound que 12" subs: clerion 6x9's : Memhpis amps: Alpine componet set.
    Future mods... Detriot tru-trac, deviels own stage 2 meth kit, MORE BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Legend

I have to assume the Tahoe/Suburban is set up the same way on a 5.3 as the Silverado, but there is a secondary belt for the AC, it is not a true one belt system. The AC compressor sat at the bottom of the motor on my 99 5.3 and was run off of a thin little belt, which surprised me being my 99 Suburban (although a 350 and old body style) was a one belt system.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

In the spring I replaced that second belt and it was about six weeks later that the squealing started, I will order the parts next month with my 5 year old being sick I have to but just a few parts per month. Thanks Boys