GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Brown Sludge

Jr. Apprentice

Default Brown Sludge

I am getting a brown colored sludge in my radiator reservoir. Does anyone know what this is? The engine has 250,000 miles on it and I had the radiator flushed about 2 yeras ago.

Is it foamy. I have seen it turn brown and foamy if tranny fluid gets in there, usually from one of the tranny cooler lines if it goes through the radiator
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

If you Chevy truck takes Dexcool and someone mixed the green antifreeze, the combination can cause a brown sludge.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    If you Chevy truck takes Dexcool and someone mixed the green antifreeze, the combination can cause a brown sludge.
    Yup. Mostly likely this. @spud is the radiator OE?
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Jr. Apprentice

Yes, the radiator is OE

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it is a foamy. I will check the tranny cooler lines. The truck is a 2500 HD with a 6 liter in it.

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    Yes, the radiator is OE

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it is a foamy. I will check the tranny cooler lines. The truck is a 2500 HD with a 6 liter in it.
    You should have a seperate transcooler then (but still check). Could be what @stchman and @McClintoc said.

Legend

dexcool must be used with distilled water. also only GM approved dexcool is dexcool ! compatible is not dexcool GM approved. now if this proper coolant was used with distilled water then you could have oil/tranny fluid entering the radiator. I would expect issues with the transmission and the fluid in the transmission if this is going on.

in areas of warm not so often freezing temps the coolant systems do not have the proper dexcool added. with a lower percentage of dexcool the brown is rust. living in a warm area freezing protection is not #1 corrosion control is what will get you when the dexcool % is too low. these engines take 4.25 gallons of total coolant. that means 2 gallons of dexcool if the system was flushed , minimum .

I use a 66% dexcool mix. replacing every 3-4 years.

Wow, 250k and you've got a brown sludge problems. How long have you owned this truck? I do agree that mixing dexcool and other anti-freezed will cause some color issues. There is also some orange anti-freeze that I've seen people mix and cause some color issues.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Internal corrosion of the radiator should be a concern here. May need to replace it.

Jr. Apprentice

I bought this truck new in 2002. I am the only owner. The auto repair shop said they think it is a head gasket. I have no water in the oil or transmission. They said it could be a "tiny" leak. They suggest flushing the radiator with detergent to get all the "oil" out and then watch it