GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Should i cut my muffler off or not?

Does anybody think i should cut my muffler off get more HP or is just a to make it more louder

I thought the same exact thing so I actully tried it. I ran it for about a week and it just got very annoying. I didn't notice any difference in fuel economy.

yeah your just looking at noise, and if you have to pass emissions good luck finding someone to do it for you, i would suggest at least getting a catback, it will give you a little bit of git up and go and some nice sound not an annoying one. if you really want to get into it, intake, tb spacer, headers, high flow cat, bigger pipe/catback, youll notice the biggest difference

yea dont bother. i would have to agree with what sheep said. thats the way to go for exhaust
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

Leave it on (trust me!). If your looking for performance AND something louder, then you can just buy an after market muffler. I recommend Flowmaster because there really loud, go with the Original 40 series

2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 2WD EXT Cab
    4.3L V6 Vortec, K&N Drop-In, Flowmaster Super 44,
    3" Exhaust tip, 22" Boss #331 Rims, Clifford 50.5x Alarm,
    Escalade Gauges, DJM Leveling Kit, Billet grill, All JL Audio Speakers,
    300XD MTX amp, Two 10" Alpine SWE-1042 subs

-Check out my photo album!

The only power gain you'll get will be in the high RPM range, you'll lose power in the lower ranges. This is great, if you drive your truck on the hghway most of the time.
    Modern internal combustion engines require some back pressure to help create cylinder scavenging of burnt exhaust gases while running in the lower RPM range where most engines spend the majority of their time. Without scavenging your engine will lose some torque and possibly fuel mileage. The muffler and pipe are a key part of creating back pressure for the engine. Gasoline engine exhaust systems are designed to be slightly restrictive to assist in creating this back pressure.
    Not to mention you probably have neighbors who really dont want to hear a loud annoying truck driving through the neighboorhood, that fact alone is just discourteous and disrespectful to their peace and quiet.

Jr. Apprentice

i have a 5.7 with straight pipes. i love the sound

Yea I had a mangaflow cat back exhaust on my truck and I got bored with it so I cut off the muffler, havent noticed much beside the fact that it got a whole lot louder.
    1994 GMC Sierra 1500
    4" Rancho Suspension Lift, 2" Body Lift
    33" Tires
    True Duals with Cherry Bombs, Brush Guard, Cowl Hood

Sold 2008 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71

Default ...

just do it the right way and get new mufflers....your gay if you cut them off