GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... Last Post byLast Post by

RayVoy, I looked at that today actually as someone suggested that. It spins freely. I tried it when it was cold. I never hear my fan run, but it does run when it starts up as it should.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    RayVoy, I looked at that today actually as someone suggested that. It spins freely. I tried it when it was cold. I never hear my fan run, but it does run when it starts up as it should.
    spin the clutch fan when cold it should not spin more than 3 rotations. check when engine hot spin again. if it spins the same amount then I would replace the fan clutch.

the other item would be the plastic shrouds around the fan. if these are removed /broken you can get this type problem. also don't forget it could be a head gasket.

Please clarify...it should spin no more than 3 rotations with one good push or should spin no more than 3 rotations with repeated attempts? Oh Lord...don't say head gasket....and how would you test for that?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    Please clarify...it should spin no more than 3 rotations with one good push or should spin no more than 3 rotations with repeated attempts? Oh Lord...don't say head gasket....and how would you test for that?
    you give it a good throw and it should not spin more than 3 rotations. then compare when engine hot .if it spins like the cold spin test then replace the fan thermal clutch.

now on the head gasket there is alot of pressure there . if the gasket is leaking at first it will only leak when the high pressure from cylinder is being created . this is where a compression check would be needed.

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Hi Willow, looks like someone tagged along on your thread, I answered him (?) in my previous post thinking it was you.

But, that answer may fix your problem as well. I suggested a problem with the radiator fan clutch. He could hear his (not normal), but yours may not be working, therefore the fan does not engage and the fan blades don't spin.

It should throw a check engine code and light the CEL (check engine light), but it may be worth a try.
    With the engine turned OFF, try to turn the radiator fan blades. Try it when engine is hot, and when cold. Don't force it, you could bend a blade.
    Sorry for the minor hijacking of this thread...
    2004 GMC Sierra SLT Z71, Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover, Rhinoliner bed liner, Putco side rails, Weathertech window deflectors and floor mats, AMP Research bed extender, GMC cloth seat covers, light bar, lights and more to come.

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    spin the clutch fan when cold it should not spin more than 3 rotations. check when engine hot spin again. if it spins the same amount then I would replace the fan clutch.

the other item would be the plastic shrouds around the fan. if these are removed /broken you can get this type problem. also don't forget it could be a head gasket.
    Thanks j cat, I was busy yesterday and did not get a chance to check the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMiller View Post
    Sorry for the minor hijacking of this thread...
    Not to worry, if it helped you, I hadn't noticed we had two different problems.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Went back to shop as it was getting worse (getting hot at under 75 out) and mechanic came out this time. I told him all I replaced and checked and he had me pop the hood. Asked me if it was hot now (yes). Said it is the clutch fan. I went ahead and got the part, now just need time to get it fixed as I am working 12 hr days. BUT this brings me to another question...someone said I should replace it with an electric fan- will improve my horsepower (always a plus) and my mileage (also a plus) and it will run cooler. I looked into it briefly tonight and from what I can surmise I would need a fan off a 99-02 camaro and need to order a wiring kit for it (about $110). So I would be into about $125 plus labor. Now also saw threads (but did not click them) about vehicles not starting after converting. I can't afford to be without my truck as I drive constantly for work. So question is...is it worth the expense and is it something that may go wrong.

IMO. no.

You never use all the horse power that you have.

The clutch, in the fan, is intended to help with horse power and mileage. Just fix it and you will be fine.

Legend

the fan install is much more than plug and play. the fan uses alot of 12volt amps. also you need speed cut out control as well as the engine temp control.

just install the OEM fan clutch and you should be fine.

Will do...thanks

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... Last Post byLast Post by