GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Custom AR Build

  1. #1

    Default Custom AR Build

    So I got the build fever from a buddy of mine to build an AR for my wife. Starting with a PSA blemished lower that I ordered for 50$ (yes $50) and I'm looking for a Ranger Proof stripped upper or maybe a whole together upper for her. Its gonna stay more towards the lightweight side. She wants it all white but I want to throw a little bit of black in there. I heard of this thing called Kerakote (SP?) but I also know people dip them and if I'm not mistaken a member on here has a dipping business but I forgot who exactly. Now I'm going to be installing either a drop in or a free float hand guard as well as a lightweight barrel like on the early M-16s as well as a 3 prong (brush grabber) flash suppressor. Bolt will probably be stainless colored and any other accessories will be painted to match.

    Now what is kerakote and how well does it withstand heat and how expensive is it? Also what about hydrodipping heat wise and expense wise?



    If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

    Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

  2. #2

    Default

    I have just had krylon on mine for 3 years... Just starting to show the wear.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

    Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

  3. #3

    Default

    Is that the hi temp spray paint? I know it's gotta be pretty clean to spray it. Like ran through the dishwasher clean. Haven't gotten the lower in yet so it will be a while. Been parts shopping. Gonna build the lower first and test it on my RRA upper and if everything works I'll start on her upper assembly which I will probably be ordering from Delton. She wants white/stainless, white/black, black/tan, all white which will be perfect if we had some snow up here. So not sure which color scheme or route to go for now

  4. #4

    Default

    I feel kinda dumb asking this , but does someone care to explain what an AR is?

  5. #5

    Default

    A rifle. Holds usually 30bullets, really fun to shoot and a labor of love to build.

  6. #6

    Default

    Ok I figured it was a rifle but wasn't sure lol thanks !

  7. #7

    Default

    I think what you mean is Cerakote. Cerakote is a ceramic based finish that comes in various colors and resists abrasion, wear, corrosion and chemicals such as gun cleaning solvent and oil.

    You can buy a kit and do it yourself but in addition to Cerakote, you will also need a good compressor, access to a sandblaster, HVLP Mini Touch-Up Gravity fed gun and a baking oven (do not recommend you do this in your wife's oven). You will also needs lots of solvent to remove all traces of oil, grease and other contaminants. It is a time consuming process.


    I have read a number accounts of people who have tried the DIY approach and everyone of them concedes that it would have been better and cheaper had they sent it off to have it professionally done.


    Do a web search for “Cerakote service” to find companies that do this sort of work. You can get a bi-tone color done for about $300.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.thorne.583 View Post
    i feel kinda dumb asking this , but does someone care to explain what an ar is?
    ar = ar-15.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    I think what you mean is Cerakote. Cerakote is a ceramic based finish that comes in various colors and resists abrasion, wear, corrosion and chemicals such as gun cleaning solvent and oil.

    You can buy a kit and do it yourself but in addition to Cerakote, you will also need a good compressor, access to a sandblaster, HVLP Mini Touch-Up Gravity fed gun and a baking oven (do not recommend you do this in your wife's oven). You will also needs lots of solvent to remove all traces of oil, grease and other contaminants. It is a time consuming process.


    I have read a number accounts of people who have tried the DIY approach and everyone of them concedes that it would have been better and cheaper had they sent it off to have it professionally done.


    Do a web search for “Cerakote service” to find companies that do this sort of work. You can get a bi-tone color done for about $300.
    And this is exactly why I don't mess with painting/finishing my own rifles. I build my own but I either do all-black or I'll get colored furniture from Magpul.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.thorne.583 View Post
    I feel kinda dumb asking this , but does someone care to explain what an AR is?
    The AR is a civilian version of the military's M16 assault rifle.

    Contrary to the anti-gun propaganda, AR does not stand for "assault rifle", the name is derived from the original manufacturer of the firearm, ArmaLite. ArmaLite sold the rights to the AR-10 and AR-15 designs to colt in 1959.

    The firearm has gained immense popularity over the decades and today the platform is offered by a large number of firearm manufacturers in a plethora of calibers.

    Because of this popularity, a large market of accessories for the weapon has developed allowing owners’ almost limitless options to configure their AR to suit their individual tastes and needs.

  10. #10

    Default

    LOL, you make one post about AR-15s and now all the ads on this site are for EOTech optics!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •