GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Hybrid View

Default Crashed my Avalanche Yesterday. Pics Included

Hey everyone!

I haven't been on here much lately, but I figured I'd post up today since I crashed my Avalanche yesterday. I got distracted by a spider that was on my windshield and didn't pay attention for 1-2 seconds. In that time, the Jeep Grand Cherokee in front of me stopped. I didn't even see it coming. The Jeep had fairly minimal damage compared to my truck. Fortunately there were no major injuries and I only have a sprained ankle and a sore neck.

Since I only have liability insurance and no collision coverage for my truck, I'll be taking the Avalanche to a repair shop on Monday to see how much it will cost to have the bit of frame damage that there is on the front repaired. If that will be a reasonable cost, I will pick up a parts truck once the frame is good, swap over everything else myself and then have the hood and fenders repainted to match. If the frame repair will be too expensive, then I guess I will have to try to make some money back by parting it out and then replace it.

Anyways, here are the pictures:

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

2. Thanks ChevyFan thanked for this post

Holy Crap! That sucks, glad everyone is reasonably OK. Shame about the insurance situation, hope things work out for you. It looks like a lot of damage, how fast were you going when you hit?
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adampaul1964 View Post
    Holy Crap! That sucks, glad everyone is reasonably OK. Shame about the insurance situation, hope things work out for you. It looks like a lot of damage, how fast were you going when you hit?
    I was going about 50km/h (just over 30 mph) when it happened. My truck really did absorb most of the impact. The only real damage to the jeep was the back door being pushed in.

Considering the amount of damage to your Avy, how is that Jeep not a wadded ball of metal right now????

Glad everyone is OK though.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

6. Likes ChevyFan liked this post

Wow that is insane! Happy to hear everyone walked away. Keep ur head up
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

Sr. Apprentice

Spiders are bad this year for some reason, this is the only place in the world where someone driving in front of you can come to a dead stop in 2 seconds or less, i think its gravitational pull.
    2001 Silverado LS LT LT 4.8 rwd. Last fillup 24.56 mpg imp in city only.

9. Likes ChevyFan liked this post

Let's get an update.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

We are waiting....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

12. Likes ChevyFan liked this post

Well, I've finally got an update for you guys. I haven't been around much lately... busy with work, school, dismantling a 2006 Silverado to repair my Avalanche, etc.

Anyway, I finally got the 2006 Silverado torn down and the front section of the frame cut off just in front of the firewall. I dropped that frame section off at the bodyshop so they cut off the damaged parts on the Avalanche and weld the good section in its place. They figure about 2-3 weeks for the frame work to be done. In the mean time, I'm going to paint the insides of the fenders and hood the color of my Avalanche so that they are ready to be installed. Once the frame work is done, I will have it towed home, quickly install the radiator assembly, body panels, etc. in 1-2 days and drive it back to the body shop for the outer paintwork as soon as I have it running again. This way I should hopefully be able to get it back in time for a ski trip just after christmas.

And as far as my wheels go, I haven't seen them pop up for sale anywhere yet. My insurance company is going to pay out $2300 and change, so that gives me a $1000 budget to get a nice set of wheels and put another set of Cooper Zeon LTZ tires on with the other $1300. I shouldn't have too much trouble with that.

14. Likes ChevyFan liked this post
    Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

All that work for the Love of the Av.... Pics We need pics..

16. Thanks ChevyFan thanked for this post
    Likes ChevyFan liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by