GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2008 Silverado 1500 4.8L Thermostat

Went to the dealer Friday for an oil change and Radiator flush. The oil change was $39 and the Flush was $130. As a second thought I asked them to put in a new thermostat and they said parts were $250 extra plus labor. Is this normal, Rockauto has the thermostat for $15 and a complete kit with housing for $29.

Legend

I do not work at the dealership to explain exactly why this is so much more where you go [FOR THERMOSTAT]. I have found that with these at the dealership in my area they do not open the coolant system they just hook up the machine and after so much fluid goes in comes out there done. not a flush but more of just a fluid exchange.

when the thermostat is to be replaced they must drain the system that takes time. then refill system . the thermostat with housing is 25.oo USD. dealership could be 50 USD.

I would drain the radiator which on your vehicle has no drain [remove lower hose]. then replace the thermostat with the housing goose neck and all the gaskets . then refill with the air purge procedure.