GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question 96 Tahoe misfire cyl 2 after sitting a while

So my old girl keeps having a problem of misfiring after sitting for 3-4 days. The truck doesn't lose power but it just runs like crap. A flashing DTC for the misfire goes and then once the truck warms up a bit she runs great with 0 problems and the flashing stops. I read the code and it says theres a cylinder 2 misfire. i'm not sure whats causing the problem since if the truck is started every day she has no issues.

I would love some advice on this so I can get it fixed up.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

My old Silverado acted like that on cold starts when I first got it. A new set of spark plugs, some fuel injector cleaner and a fresh fuel filter got it running like new again. It's a good place to start if either of those are fairly old. Checking your air filter and cleaning your mass airflow sensor probably won't fix the problem, but they'd be good things to do while you're at it.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Hello; Perhaps the injector is leaking down after sitting for a time. This may allow excess fuel in that cylinder and ceate an over rich condition untill warmed up. This may also foul the plug a bit untill the fuel burns off.

my 95 did the same thing. It only had 65,000 miles. I always chalked it up to a valve sticking.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I have the new fuel filter just haven't had the time to replace it. I cleaned the MAF about a month ago which helped the truck a bit and she has new plugs as of December this year, changed at about 199,000, currently at 201,400. Oil was changed about a month ago and I ran seafoam through the tank about the same time. Its likely just the truck disliking driving 120 miles of highway each weekend and then just sitting until halfway through the week for my night out and sitting again til the weekend.

I just hope it isn't hurting the truck too bad.

I would recommend pulling the #2 plug and getting a look at how it's burning, but if I remember correctly the last time you pulled plugs you ended up with a bigger problem.