GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Weak horn on 2001 Silverado

Does anyone else who has a NBS truck (99-06) think their horn is not loud enough? I think my horn is very puny sounding and it has been that way since I got it.

Are there any aftermarket, direct replacement horns for 99-06 Silverados that are a little more intimidating? I'm not looking for a train horn here, just something more noticeable than my OE weaksauce.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    Does anyone else who has a NBS truck (99-06) think their horn is not loud enough? I think my horn is very puny sounding and it has been that way since I got it.

Are there any aftermarket, direct replacement horns for 99-06 Silverados that are a little more intimidating? I'm not looking for a train horn here, just something more noticeable than my OE weaksauce.
    What kind of Silverado do you have? If you have the W/T, then the horns are weak. The W/T trim package only puts a single horn, the next packages up put in two horns.

I had a 95 and 98 W/T and they had some weak sounding horns.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Yeah they are really weak, my NBS is LS trim also. I don't know why GM went with that wimpy horn but I do not use the horn at all so it doesn't bother me enough to change it.

But I think you should go big and do train horns
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

@stchman It's an LS. Other than leather seats and 4x4, it has just about every option Chevy put in the Silverado in 2001.

@ChromeSilver02 Train horns would be funny. It would be a sleeper when it comes to the horn.

@stchman It's an LS. Other than leather seats and 4x4, it has just about every option Chevy put in the Silverado in 2001.
    Interesting, on the NNBS the LS is considered one of the lower packages, below the LT and LTZ.

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    Interesting, on the NNBS the LS is considered one of the lower packages, below the LT and LTZ.
    It was the same back then but no LTZ. It was work truck, LS then LT but my truck has a lot of options in it for an LS.

Legend

this weak horn I found is because the horn [LOW TONE] on the passenger side is burned out. what I found is water enters this horn with its mounting. It is recommended to adhere insect screen over the opening to reduce water . also try to mount horn so it points downward and therefore not get much water in it.

Quote Originally Posted by terry85 View Post
    nothing weak about a v8
    We're talking about the horn here, not the engine.

My '01 Silverado was the same way, and so is my '03 Sierra that i use for work. It's because GM made the second horn that makes the low note a $20 option. I've always felt that a $20 price increase for something as simple as a horn should have been standard and nobody would have cared about $20 in the price of a new truck.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

So, are there any good (loud) aftermarket horns or am I looking at a new OE-replacement?