GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default O2 sensor removal

Guys, i have been trying to replace my pre-cat o2 sensors and ran into major headache with passenger side one. It seems that the placement of the sensor does not allow any tool i have to get to it. I tried a box wrench, deep socket, o2 sensor socket, crescent wrench... All seem to have zero wiggle room to break it open. Any advice?

Ps: sprayed plenty of kroil on the sob as well, didnt unscrew itself as kroil would make you believe

You might need to drop the pipe to give yourself room.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Sounds like a saw-zaw and welder kind of job...

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    Factory Black Running Boards
    BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's(265/65R18)
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    Bowtie Mud Flaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    DeeZee Toolbox(Debadged)
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Bigger Tires
    Aftermarket Rims

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by anven View Post
    Guys, i have been trying to replace my pre-cat o2 sensors and ran into major headache with passenger side one. It seems that the placement of the sensor does not allow any tool i have to get to it. I tried a box wrench, deep socket, o2 sensor socket, crescent wrench... All seem to have zero wiggle room to break it open. Any advice?

Ps: sprayed plenty of kroil on the sob as well, didnt unscrew itself as kroil would make you believe
    with an open end wrench and the exhaust pipe is hot loosen O2 sensor. then when the pipes cool finish the R/R.

also if it is really stuck in there place the wrench in ice water then try to loosen. the cold wrench will shrink the sensor to aid in removal. rust is not a problem with these threads/metals.

J Cat,
    Do you know how I can get a wrench on it? my issue is not rust, its simply not having enough room to get a big wrench in there. I tried dropping the pipe per suggestion above, but it looks like the whole cross-member needs to come out in order to drop this pipe... This should not be this difficult... It almost looks like one has to take half a truck apart just to replace one little O2 sensor...

- - - Updated - - -

Solved!
    Unbolted the engine side flange, that gave enough flex to the pipe that I was able to bend it down (by hanging my whole body weight on it) enough to get a 7/8 open ended wrench on the o2 sensor. Then I was able to get about a 1/8th turn with the wrench which was enough to break it open. Then using a little 6-inch crescent wrench i unscrewed the rest of the way.

tough job though - definitely did not expect it to be this bad.

Thanks for all the advice.

Legend

surprised you have not much room on your model year/engine . ya rust is not a problem as the metals do not corrode.

what vehicle do you have anyway ?

Quote Originally Posted by anven View Post

I actually prefer to use PB blaster as a penetrating oil. I put PB Blaster on some pretty rusty exhaust manifold nuts and let them soak overnight. They came off without issue the next morning.

Have you investigated a type of tool like this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...nch-97177.html

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors