GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 98 k1500 Bad shudder

I am new here and am not sure if this topic has came up before.

My wife drives a 98 K1500 5.7. It has 125xxx miles on it. It is completely stock besides a k&N filter and flowmaster mufflers.

We have been dealing with an issue for the past 25XXX miles and can not get it completely solved.

When going up large hills at highway speeds the truck will start to have a bad shudder and lose power and drop about 20mph. If you keep in it, it throws a check engine light. I have not checked the code in a while but it was throwing misfire cylinder 5.

We have changed:
    Plugs
    wires
    fuel filter
    cap and rotor
    torque converter
    torque converter lockout solenoid
    Trans filter

We also have checked for vacuum leaks and have found nothing.

I'm sure we have replaced other parts just cant think of them.

After replacing the lockout solenoid, the issue went away for a while but has now returned.

Let me know if you have any suggestions
    thanks

Welcome to GMTC!

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    Factory Black Running Boards
    BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's(265/65R18)
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    Bowtie Mud Flaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    DeeZee Toolbox(Debadged)
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Bigger Tires
    Aftermarket Rims

How many times have you cleared and checked the code? Does it always come up P0305 or does it sometimes come up other cylinders or general P0300?

Where the problem shows up while climbing hills, one of my first thoughts is a fuel delivery issue. After climbing, the engine gets starved for fuel and starts to misfire. If you have not yet put a fuel pressure gauge on it, I would do so and see if the fuel pressure is dropping off before it starts to bog/misfire.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    How many times have you cleared and checked the code? Does it always come up P0305 or does it sometimes come up other cylinders or general P0300?

Where the problem shows up while climbing hills, one of my first thoughts is a fuel delivery issue. After climbing, the engine gets starved for fuel and starts to misfire. If you have not yet put a fuel pressure gauge on it, I would do so and see if the fuel pressure is dropping off before it starts to bog/misfire.

Checked the code yesterday and it was a P0300 multi cylinder misfire. We ended up putting on a new cap and rotor again due to a little corrosion. That cap sure didn't last long. It helped a little but still has a shudder. Next will check fuel pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by 06lbz View Post
    Checked the code yesterday and it was a P0300 multi cylinder misfire. We ended up putting on a new cap and rotor again due to a little corrosion. That cap sure didn't last long. It helped a little but still has a shudder. Next will check fuel pressure.

More likely that it's an ignition malfunction or fuel delivery issue, but DO check the compression on all the cylinders as well.
    "I Hate When That Happens!"