GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Tips for seating the Transmission Dipstick

Ok, I know this sounds super-simple, but I'm looking for some tips to help me get my dipstick tube in the transmission correctly. It hasn't been correct since I replaced the transmission. After taking it over to the transmission shop for a nonrelated issue, I found out that there was already a dipstick tube gasket/seal on the case when I tried to shove my dipstick into the transmission, with the old one still on the dipstick mind you. Today I should be picking up a new dipstick gasket and I'm going to take another crack at it, hopefully correctly. Two tricks I have found so far is to lube up both the dipstick tube and the gasket with some ATF and to not put the new gasket all the way into the transmission case before trying to insert the dipstick. That way it prevents binding on the gasket I guess.... Are there any other tips or tricks to getting it down there right the first time. Also, how do I know when it's all the way down? I'm going to try to slip the little "flag" on the tube over the bellhousing bolt to ensure it's in the right spot, but I'm not 100% sure I'm going to be able to do that since Chevy had the infinite wisdom to put the fuel lines directly over that bolt. Thanks as always everyone...
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

So, no ideas or comments? Hopefully I'll be getting this done tonight and I want to make sure I got it right...