GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default upgrading to cd player ~ 2005 Silverado

I have a 2005 silverado with just an AM/FM radio in it with no fancy steering wheel controls. I would like to replace it with a factory gm cd player. is this possible or does the radio have to be programmed to the vin number for security reasons..my current radio says nothing about anti theft system. I also saw factory cd player on gm parts direct for same price as a new after market..I just want to go with factory for thieves won't steal them but they will a after market even if its only worth 5 dollars..thanks...

If you have no steering wheel controls t worry about, just get a decent Kenwood or Pioneer. You can get bluetooth and USB support with aftermarket as well.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

@rick1835 This is the unit I have in my 2001. It does NOT play CDs. It's AM/FM and MP3-input only. I converted all my CDs to MP3s anyway so that's why I went with a non-CD capable unit. Skip this unit if you really want CD capability but otherwise it's pretty nice. I like it because it looks stock, espcially if you have tinted windows. It's difficult to tell that it's aftermarkter. It's all black and doesn't have a big flashy screen or colors.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_522JHD1...-JHD1630B.html

My OE headunit is CD capabale. If I still have it, would you be interested in buying it for cheap? I just moved from a house into an apartment and had to downsize all my crap. I hope I didn't trash it.

Here is the same unit with CD capability:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_522JHD3...JHD3630BT.html
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by rick1835 View Post
    I have a 2005 silverado with just an AM/FM radio in it with no fancy steering wheel controls. I would like to replace it with a factory gm cd player. is this possible or does the radio have to be programmed to the vin number for security reasons..my current radio says nothing about anti theft system. I also saw factory cd player on gm parts direct for same price as a new after market..I just want to go with factory for thieves won't steal them but they will a after market even if its only worth 5 dollars..thanks...
    I happened to have a factory 05 CD player that i took out of my truck few years back. If you're interested, I can sell. make an offer. Its just collecting dust on my shelf. Should be a drop in replacement.