GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default posted this on truck board will post here too

I have a 2004 Silverado 4.3l V6 with magnaflow exhaust, k&n Intake system. I dont get very good mpg around 17 for both highway and city it seems no matter how i dirve. I am lookin to improve MPG, and up the horses a little bit. I am not looking to turn my v6 to a beast cuz i know that just wont happen. I am wondering does anyone have experience with the E-con or know anyone who does? I would like to see others opinions on this programmer before i drop 330 on it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I would suggest a custom tune. they are more cost effective and they can set tables that the handhelds can't. I would also look into some e-fans and an underdrive crank pulley. You could also look into Headers and High Flow cats.
    Chris S. The GoFastPadre I like to drive fast and I've got the speeding tickets to prove it. 00 Sierra Z71 ECSB K&N CAI Pacesetter Shorties (soon to be replaced with LT's) Magnaflow HFC's Flowmasters with True Duals and H-Pipe more mods to come

Looks like I have a similar setup as you. I'm not sure about the E-con but I have the Max Energy and got a few mpg better, not to mention a bit more power....which should be a tad bit more than the E-con, I think.

Yeah custom tune is best. I will be getting headers one day by JBA...bout $460... pricey but way cheaper than what I had on my Grand Prix. If your truck is like mine then you already have electric fans.
    Last edited by Slow1500; 05-27-2008 at 09:00 PM.

- '07 Silverado Classic - 4.3, 5spd, reg. cab, short bed, 2wd, silver....Magnaflow, K&N 63series kit, Hypertech Max Energy, CFM Tech tb, 180* tstat, McGaughys 2/4 drop, 275/55-17 tires(stock painted rims), billet grill, Pioneer cd, Sony Xplod speakers/sub, 1000w Crunch amp. Jba headers and Wynjammer s/c coming soon!
    - '98 Grand Prix GTP - modded - *SOLD*

slow,

About how many mpg are you getting? Unfortunately i have not gotten electric fans yet. How important is That? Also do you constantly run 91 93 or 87 gasoline

From other posts I have read about the E-Con, it is the same as the Max Energy, but does not offer the tune for 93 octane (premium). I don't know that for a fact, but that is what I've heard. I have looked into getting one myself, but just can't afford to drop the cash for it. Plus, I'm wanting to get exhaust before I get the programmer. I'm getting about 17.5 mpg on my truck (avg city and highway).
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

Quote Originally Posted by gsvar2004 View Post
    slow,

About how many mpg are you getting? Unfortunately i have not gotten electric fans yet. How important is That? Also do you constantly run 91 93 or 87 gasoline
    Well, before I started modding I got 17.89 on my first tank(I've only had the truck a couple months or so) and that was on 87 octane. Almost all of that is done in the city and me driving hard sometimes...not too shabby I guess. I haven't really checked my mileage since but just by looking at the gas hand I am getting more miles per 1/4 tank...can just tell it's better. The Max Energy tuner only has settings for either 87 or 93. I have it programmed for 93.

I guess about the only difference between mine and yours is the electric fans, then.. mine came stock with them. I know it can help free up a couple hp...not amazing but anything helps.