GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Air filter box mod

I have a 2002 GMC 2500, and was wondering if anyone has modified their air filter box. I was looking at mine the other day and was thinking about cutting out a section of the bottom and taking out the base plate that it bolts to. was just thinking this would allow more air into the box. it would be similar to a K & N cold air intake. The bottom is wide open. just wondering if anyone has done this or what people think of this idea.

Thanks
    02GMC2500 4X4 extcab.Kenda Mud tires.3"Magnaflow true dual Exhaust.throttle body spacer with K&N air filter.Hypertech programmer.White LED dash lights.LED back up lights and marker lights.LED cab lights.LED interior lights.6000k HID conversion lows, with high/low conversion.Installed Center Console

Shouldn't be a problem as long as all cutting is done between ambient air and the MAF...
    See The USA In A Chevrolet,
    Or Buy A Ford And Stay At Home!!

I did this to my 2001 Silverado 1500. I basically made my own CAI. I replaced the regular air filter with a reuseable, performance filter from Specter. To let in more air, I removed the bottom and two sides of the air box. Just make sure you leave the top rim of the air box in tact so the air filter has something to seal against.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Legend

what I did was drill 3/8 inch holes in the bottom in each square. I did this to drain out the water. I found that if you drive in a very heavy dry snow it gets in there , the holes helped keep it dry.

now if you make the bottom of the box with bigger holes or remove it rodents could get in there and chew up the filter. you would need to put some rat wire to cover this hole to keep them out.

I also have rat wire over the intake bore.

Only problem with this idea is that you would be sucking in hot engine compartment air. hotter air is less efficient that cooler air. Kinda defeating the purpose. Now, if you were to mod the box to allow more air, and made sure that all the air getting to it was outside the engine compartment, you would have something there. configuring some form of ram intake to the box would be the cat's meow.
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowpie View Post
    Only problem with this idea is that you would be sucking in hot engine compartment air. hotter air is less efficient that cooler air. Kinda defeating the purpose. Now, if you were to mod the box to allow more air, and made sure that all the air getting to it was outside the engine compartment, you would have something there. configuring some form of ram intake to the box would be the cat's meow.
    No CAI is truely air tight. Some of the hot engine air will still get in. The trick is to find the happy medium between least amount of air restriction (opening the air box) and reduction of hot air getting in.

Thanks for all the great replies. Thank you. I think im going to look at my air box some more and go ahead and mod it. I think it should work good. I did think about the hot engine air but all I know that the cold air intake i had on one of my other trucks took the air box plate out and was open just the way I was thinking about doing it. Thanks again. I will let you know how it turned out.

You do realize it dose absolutely nothing to increase HP. You will have little more noise from the motor but you get zero HP. Not my opinion, there are in the neighborhood of ten Dyno videos on youtube alone to prove it. Even the mighty K&N dose not a dam thing but make your wallet $200 lighter. Even duels without a tune do squat but deliver more engine noise. Then computer doesn't lie and K&N threatened to sue the two guys from Australia when they Dyno a car and actually showed a one horse power loss! The ECM dictates performance, just because these companies tell you your motor will now "Breath better" doesn't make the computer alter parameters it was programmed with. The most an open element filter will do without a tune to support it is, more easily introduce dirt and water or moisture into your intake. Most folks say they "feel the difference" actually only hear the difference and get no gain what so ever. To top of my post, why do you thing even the hand held tuners want you to plug in and record your vehicle with the mods on it? In order to tune so they can be utilized. Because your factory tune won't learn to optimize any mod until its programmed to do so. It's how modern ECM's work, disconnecting the battery won't do it either. The computer will always attempt to stay within a useable base line fuel and air ratio and spark curve no matter what the atmosphere.
    I am a American solder, I am a member of the finest fight force on earth, I am the bump in the night. I will defend the United states of American Against all enemies both foreign and domestic. Repent now all those who would do my nation and it's people harm; For when we come it will be too late.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE, Z71 with 5.3 l and max tow/haul package

Kapel is 100% dead on. Your engine compartment is not full of hot air! As soon as you start to move, you bring outside air into the compartment, generally resulting in a diff between ambient and under-hood temps of around 15 degrees. Numerous testers have proven this by placing electronic temp gauges next to/inside of the intake, and reading temps instantaneously in the cab while driving. Most programmers have this function, and will show the same results. I LOVE the sound of the K&N/etc. intake, but you will to be running at nearly 6,000 rpm before you will see more than one or two HP improvement. Those polished intake tubes sure do look a lot nicer than our crappy air boxes, which might make it a worthwhile upgrade for that reason.
    Las Vegas, NV...2001 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Stepside X-cab, 171,000 miles, 5.3, cat-back duals, leveling kit, 3.73, 17" rims, more to come...

You are right they do look nicer then our stock set up. I think they make the trucks sound better as well.