GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How hard is it to convert an A/C suburban to Non-A/C?

I know, at first you think that I"m doing it backwards but there is a reason. A few years back a rock got wedged between the frame and one of the A/C hoses in our 98 suburban with the 350. The hose eventually got a hole in it and its a huge undertaking to change the hose. We don't really care about not having the A/C, so the other day I was looking at the belt diagram by the hood latch and there's only one pully different from an A/C truck to a nonA/C. So I was thinking that we would gain a few MPGs by taking off the compressor, maybe making enough money by selling it on ebay to pay for the new pulley, and putting the pulley that a Non A/C truck would have in it's place. Is my idea possible or am I insane?
    Thanks,
    Greg

you are not going to get any more mpg by removing the compressor. the only thing your really doing is saving the weight. the compressor is on a clutch system, so when not in used the pulley just freewheel.

but to anwer your question, it is possible.

If you're in an area that enjoys A/C, you can have the rear A/C system removed from the front AC system and just have front AC. On my 91, before I bought it, the rear AC was disconnected and the lines going to the rear AC capped off in the engine bay, so I still have front AC
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Shame it is dead, a vehicle with AC is more fuel efficient at speed then one with the windows down. There is a lot more wind resistance with open windows, fixing it should actually pay for its self in the long run.

Phil
    Happy 2 Wheeler!