GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Service intervals - oil changes especially.

I am on old motorhead, and we would build motors, change oil after 3-500 miles during motor break in, then every 3k. When I owned my Jeep, and other cars,suvs, I did the same thing.
    The owners manual states every 12k to change oil. In almost 40 years of driving/working on motors, I never went 12k between changes. Is the 12k a safe amount with this
    oil life monitor? What intervals do you all change your vehicles oil?
    If this is a double post I am sorry for missing the other posting.
    Thanks for your help.

I change my Silverado every 6K miles. Every 3K miles is a waste of money.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

3. Likes JAS_2013Silverado1500 liked this post
    Legend

with the old carb vehicles the dino oil required changing every 3-4,000miles. now with the new injection , fuel management being tightly controlled and the use of synthetic oils along with the high quality oil filters many go 12,ooo miles on an oil change. with a new engine I recommend changing the oil at about 1000-1500miles. this is to remove any engine debris/wear that is in all these due to manufacturing process.

I myself use Mobil 1 and purolator pure one or Wix oil filters go about 8,000 miles. The oil still looks very clean. no sludge .

The oil monitor goes off on my vehicle about 5000 miles. this is not an oil tester. this comes on based on the engines operating environment. it has nothing to do with the oil's condition.

5. Likes JAS_2013Silverado1500 liked this post

OP, I take it you're talking about a brand new truck you just got? With newer engine technology and newer oil technology, it is possible to go longer intervals between changes. The safe bet is to read the owner's manual and use the oil it recommends and change it when it recommends.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

7. Likes JAS_2013Silverado1500 liked this post

Im a long time gearhead myself, since the 70's Ive followed the theory of oil changes at 3000/3500 miles, I learned it from my dad who had been doing it that way since the late 40's.
    In the late 90's I actually took the time to read the owners manual on a new truck and was surprised to read a recommendation for changing oil at 9000 miles, 3times past my normal and wiidely recomended length. This was obviously a huge typo the mfg had missed in the manual. At the next 3k oil change I mentioned it to the service advisor and he brought out a binder full of studies and info about why we should allow oil changes to run longer.
    When we bought my wifes 08 HHR they actually expanded on that information and stated that in some cases warranty could be an issue if the oil was repeatedly changed to soon.
    In an effort to convince us about the benefits of longer periods btwn oil changes the dealer paid for an oil analasys package that allowed us to test our oil at 3k, 5k, and 6k. Being familiar with the particular lab since I know they do Oil Analasys.for the U.S. Navy on jet engines I had no problem accepting their standards and findings showing the oil breakdown with new oils was very negligible until around 7/8k miles.
    Modern oil blends are more resiliant to fuel washout and metal contaminants.
    I still change the oil more frequently (4/5k miles) on my older model vehicles but on our 2 newer vehicles I let the oil life monitor handle things.

9. Likes JAS_2013Silverado1500 liked this post

@tbplus10 Was the oil that got tested conventional or synthetic?
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Both types, after getting the HHR oil tested I got curious about the condition of the oil in my Supercharged Tacoma 4x4.
    Both oils were tested at 5000 miles, the conventional oil had broken down slightly more than the synthetic, but both were well within the established limits and according to the test center were only at about half life.
    Keep in mind the Tacoma (conventional oil) is a supercharged trail truck that see' high engine temps due to the supercharger, italso see's lots of idling time and operates mostly in dusty enviroments, also its a higher mileage engine ( at the time 138,000 to the HHR's 32,000).
    Even with the results I cant make myself run the Tacoma oil longet than 7000, but even thats double what I've been running oil changes since new.

Former Member

I've ran the OLM down to around 10% using Mobil1 EP, I sampled and sent out the sample; and it was considered suitable for continued use. That oil had almost 7,000 miles on it. My OLM only allows me to get to about 7,500 miles even taking the OLM to 0%. The only thing that was considered extremely high in my sample, was copper. And from much research, the high copper seems to be normal with the 6.0L. I've changed over to Series 9000 Schaeffer 5w30 (full synthetic), so I'm about due to run another sample.

The main thing to take away from this discussion is that not only have engines became more efficient (read: they abuse the oil less), but the oil itself has been improved by leaps and bounds also.

Thank you all for your help. I think after the first oil change, the intervals will be 6-9k,for the 12k would test my sanity, and too many question that already.

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAS_2013Silverado1500 View Post
    Thank you all for your help. I think after the first oil change, the intervals will be 6-9k,for the 12k would test my sanity, and too many question that already.

I did change the OE oil fairly early...like 2000 miles if I remember correctly. It doesn't do any harm changing the OE fluids early, gets all the break-in particles out of the sump...for that matter it doesn't hurt anything but to lighten your wallet for changing any of them sooner than they require.

If it makes you feel better to change sooner, then by all means do that. That comfort (or feel-good) factor means a lot to some of us.

15. Thanks JAS_2013Silverado1500 thanked for this post
    Likes JAS_2013Silverado1500 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast