GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Opinions please 2wd or 4wd

Hey everyone brand new here been reading peoples posts last few weeks and has really helped me figure out some things, I really appreciate that. I am looking at buying a 2008-2013 crew cab silverado 1500 in just a few months. Here is my thing. I live in NC and go offroad here and there sometimes but no where I have not been able to make it in my current 2wd truck. We dont get much snow here maybe once or twice a year and then it is mainly icey mixture. I want to level a silverado and put something like 285-65-18 nitto trail grapplers on it. This will be my only truck so driving it daily and just wonder what your opinions are on doing something like this on a 2wd? I love the look of this and feel like 4wd would be nice but I am sure I will hardly ever use it if ever. I just dont want to look stupid leveling and putting these tires and all on it giving it an offroad look if I get a 2wd. Honestly money is the only reason I am thinking about possibly getting a 2wd instead times are hard now days. Please give me some honest opinions I know you guys will be a great help. Thanks!

Sr. Mechanic

In my opinion it's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. But going with just a leveling kit on a 2wd with 33's wouldn't look stupid and seeing how this is mainly an on road daily driver this modification is for appearance. I think it's pretty dumb when people start lifting 2wd though.
    2004 GMC Sierra SLT 6.0L 4x4
    UWS Low Profile toolbox 10% tint front and over stock back tint
    AirAid MIT and K&N airfilter
    BlackBear Performance

Thanks for your reply. Yes I agree I would never actually lift anything but a 4wd. And I can also understand your thought process on having it in case. Luckily if I do go with the 2wd and get stuck at least I know some people who can come get me out. Do you know by chance if there any difference in the ride height of the 4wd and 2wd in this year model?

Only you can make the decision if the additional cost of 4WD (insurance, fuel, maintenance) is worth it. Some people quote higher resale for 4WD, but forget the additional cost.

IMO, if one does go off road, frequently pulls a boat up slick ramps, lives in an area that gets a lot of snow in the winter, the additional $3500 for 4WD and its associated costs are definitely worth it. If one wants 4WD for a "look" or JIC it snows when they live in Alabama, then it is not worth it.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Thanks for your reply too stchman. By offroad I mean going down to one of the many ponds I go to to fish that are always fairly easy to get to. If I were just made of money this would not even be a discussion. My only thing in my price range right now a 4wd would have more miles then i would like to have on buying a used truck. Any advice on a range of mileage to be looking for in a used truck? I really plan on keeping this truck until it just wont go anymore and then I am probably going to throw a new motor in it.

cj I'm in the same situation but I know I want a 4x4. If you're gonna drive it till it rusts out, then I'd say look for a truck with AT MOST 50,000 miles. I don't know what you're working with financially but there are lots of chevys & GMCs 4x4s out there for $26K or less with less than 50,000. And that's crew cab models.

Here's another question: Do you want/need a 5.3? If not, you could get a W/T crew cab 4.8L 4x4 with less than 30,000 miles for that same price. I know because I've found them. That's the great thing about GM trucks: OPTIONS
    Hotty Toddy!

Yes that is true plenty of options. lol. If you dont mind me asking where your looking as far as trucks online sites or just going place to place? I honestly dont want to spend no more then 23 right now. Big reason for the thinking about 2wd option. Going to start a family here in a few years too so like the idea of the crew cab for sure. As far as the motor I have not really decided on it. Idk as far as towing if I need the bigger engine. I wont be towing alot but every now and then a smaller camper or utility trailer but nothing serious. And also up until now I have only owned vehicles with 160,000 plus lol just got my ford ranger sold with 225,000. So anything is like new to me at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by cj11209 View Post
    Thanks for your reply too stchman. By offroad I mean going down to one of the many ponds I go to to fish that are always fairly easy to get to. If I were just made of money this would not even be a discussion. My only thing in my price range right now a 4wd would have more miles then i would like to have on buying a used truck. Any advice on a range of mileage to be looking for in a used truck? I really plan on keeping this truck until it just wont go anymore and then I am probably going to throw a new motor in it.
    Yes, if I was made of money you'd see the trucks and cars I would have.

If you don't mind us asking what's your price range?

Right now Chevrolet and GMC dealers are making AWESOME deals on 2013 Silverados and Sierras to make room for the 2014s. You might be surprised on what you can get a 2013 for.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Honestly at this point I want to spend 20-23k. I realize that this means i get something that has some miles on it already. And in all reality at this range I know its not going to last me forever but I can upgrade later in life hopefully then things will be a little more sound financially. I really want crew cab silverado and black. For some reason seems like black is popular cause everything I find is more expensive in that color. lol

cj check out autotrader. Now this is in my area but if you're like me I'll go anywhere to pick up a vehicle:

09 crew z71 w/60K miles for $22K
    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=3&Log=0

And here's a 10 crew W/T 4x4 already lifted w/wheels 56K miles for $22K:
    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=2&Log=0

Like I said this is for my area (OKC) which is truck country. But I'm sure you can find the same in your area.
    Hotty Toddy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast