GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Trailblazer Gas Gauge going out - Sending Unit?

My dad's 2005 Trailblazer EXT LS 4.2 has the fuel gauge that has just quit working properly. I've read around the web that it can be the sending unit, the level sensor itself or even the gauge. Anyone experience this?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Yessir Steve. My cousin's 01 4.3L silverado had the same thing (ya this doesn't sound redneck). It was the level sensor inside the tank. $75 fix. It would accurately read the level until 3/4 of a tank, then it would jump all over the place. What's yours doing?
    Hotty Toddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    it can be the sending unit, the level sensor itself or even the gauge.
    Can also be a bad ground at the tank.

The stepper motors on the gauges are a big problem with GM dashes (notably, the Trailblazers).
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

There is a partial recall / refund on this from GM.

GM covers partial repair cost for defective fuel-level sensors

General Motors has said it will cover half the cost for repairing defective fuel gauges in 2005- through 2009- model-year Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Saab 9-7X sport-utility vehicles.

GM's agreement to pay half the repair costs puts an end to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's probe, opened earlier this year. NHSTA was checking into reports that the gauges showed there was more gas in the tank than there actually was.

The faulty fuel-level sensor affects 865,000 vehicles in the United States. GM notified dealers and vehicle owners of its decision in August, according to the NHTSA.

The agency launched the investigation after receiving 668 driver complaints about the inaccuracy of fuel-sensor readings. A stalled vehicle was reported in 58 of those instances, and the cause for 43 of those stalls was directly attributed to inaccurate fuel-level readings. One report said the vehicle stalled while exiting a highway and got hit from behind.

GM spokesman Alan Adler declined to say what the repairs would cost the automaker. He said the 50/50 policy would allow GM to "standardize the labor time necessary to perform the repair."

Legend

There are also TONS of electrical shops that can fix it, and put in a better stepper motor then the factory one, and will even guarantee it for life, the one within an hours drive for me guarantees less then 24 hr turn around. Everyone that I know that has had the fuel gauge issue in a Silverado or Trailblazer, its always been the stepper motor.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Jr. Engineer

the usual tell of a bad sensing unit is it goes from being accurate to inaccurate a lot. if the gauge is just dead, it MAY be a nother problem.
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

The problem showed up after running STP fuel injector cleaner through two tanks of fuel. Turned out there was a recall and the sensor was replaced at a Chevrolet dealer in Wisconsin at no cost to me.

Steve's Dad

So if i take her TB to the shop,GM will cover 50/50 with me?

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    275/65R18 Toyo Open Country AT2's
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit(want to get the 2.5 RC kit)
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    ProFlaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Blacked out Tail Lights
    Aftermarket Rims

Hey these customer complaints went as far back as year 2000, but they somehow only had to cover 2005 and later , I was out of pocket for my 2000 Blazer.
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

Ours is a 2005

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by