GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Starting issues on my 99 suburban

Hello, new to site. I have a 99 suburban best truck I've ever had but I'm having starting trouble. I did a full tune up about 6 months ago when It was starting hard, problem seemed to go away. Now It overheated twice due to broken fittings on the heater hoses. Fixed that and it ran fine for a few days, now it won't start at all. fuel pressure holds at 55-60 psi, doing a compression test tomorrow. no water in the oil and doesn't appear to be any in the cylinders. any ideas would be great.

Are the spark plugs firing?
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Welcome to the club, it's great to have you aboard.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Club!!!

I moved your thread to the correct section of our Forum and changed your title slightly to more match your topic. In doing so, this will help you get more responses/opinions.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Low compression on one, even two, cylinders should not stop it from starting. It should start and run bad.

You need fuel, air and spark.

Your fuel pressure suggests the pump is good, can you hear it running when the key is first turned on. It should run for a short time and stop.

A plugged air filter, and/or, a plug in the pipe between the filter and the throttle body, will starve it for air (but it should start and stop soon after).

Spark. Are you getting coil voltage to the plugs?

While typing, I'm thinking I need to clarify what is happening.

Your post sounds like it cranks, but won't start. Or, are you having trouble getting the starter to spin the engine?
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Default starting issues 99 suburban

Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    Are the spark plugs firing?
    Thanks for the reply, plugs were firing but not hot enough I took off the dist cap lots of carbon deposits on the cap and the rotor, cleaned it up put it back on started right up. Just can't figure out what caused that to happen replaced both 6 months ago.

Water inside the cap will cause that.

Should be two vent holes to keep the moisture out.