GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Air Conditioning tips?

My AC compressor is almost dead on the 99 burb... had the pressures read and apparently the high side is running up and down between like 150 or 200 and 250 and the low side is staying up at 100-150. This supposedly indicates a dying compressor that can't keep pumping the high side fast enough. Well, I'm ordering a new compressor and drier. I see that many people replace an orifice on the condensor. I'd like to skip some labor, but is this a bad idea?!? What are musts, besides a drier replacement when changing a compressor?
    I like you.

Orifice tube is a $10 part and a few minutes to install if the system is already open. Usually the screen is half clogged with crap even if the old compressor didn't grenade completely.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

Legend

Just my thoughts, with age of your suburban you can be looking at more then just the compressor, the lines run all the way to the back auxileray AC unit, I had a new compressor, dryer, lines installed and that system holds a lot of refrigerant, all total I dropped $1500.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16