GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Cool Best Performance Upgrades?

I just bought an 04 Sierra 2500HD. I was wondering what anyone would recommend for performance upgrades. I'm not looking for power as much as I am more interested in mpg and something that may help the truck last the longest. I don't want to mess with anything that could lead to potential bigger problems down the road. Suggestions? Thanks

easy top 3 upgrades:
    1)air intake
    2)exhaust system
    3)programmer/monitoring display (many choices there depending on your desires)
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

Quote Originally Posted by Sexypants209 View Post
    I just bought an 04 Sierra 2500HD. I was wondering what anyone would recommend for performance upgrades. I'm not looking for power as much as I am more interested in mpg and something that may help the truck last the longest. I don't want to mess with anything that could lead to potential bigger problems down the road. Suggestions? Thanks
    Is the truck a 6.0L gas or 6.6L Duramax?

CAI don't do much as the stock box functions as a CAI, you might want to replace the intake tube with something that does not have those silly resonators.

I would definitely go with at least replacing the water heater sized mufflers they put on these trucks to something less restrictive. If you want to get fancy, you can replace the exhaust manifolds with some headers.

A ECM tune can give you some more noticeable HP/Tq gains, but usually at the expense of fuel economy.

One thing that will give you some better MPGs is to put on a tonneau cover. The Silverado XFE comes with a factory tonneau cover. As to which tonneau cover to buy, there are MANY to choose from.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

4. Likes KyleZ71 liked this post
    Master Mechanic

Everything he just said^
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

@stchman, it's a duramax diesel. The first diesel I've had. Thanks, for all the feed back.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm new to all this stuff so it's kind of foreign. I've never really taken much of an interest in any of my vehicles. Just sort of a point A to point B thing for me. Now that I have a truck I'm proud of I want to take care of it and learn as much as I can about it. What is a tonneau cover, and an ECM tune? Sorry, like I said it's all new to me, definitely appreciate the help though. Thank you

The things said are oke .But to gain something true your exhaust you need to replace the complete system.air- intake is a bit of a scam.Only an other air-intake does next to nothing.
    Doing both will make it easier to get the ECM tuned better for maximum hp/torque,for better milage stay stock,don't forget:the more air you take in,the more power but also more fuel needed,you can't drive on air alone.
    ECM-tune can give big gain,but like you said,you want better mpg so you have to make that very clear when you get it tuned.(they are used to go for hp)or get a tuning-device(2-300$),a good one really does work,that way you can go for MPG or HP,whatever,whenever.
    Tonneau-cover is a must,small mirrors(no,this is no yoke)do a bit.
    The big gainers on fuel are your tires and most of all weight,but driving around without doors,seats,tonneau and what more isn't really comfortable;
    Greetings

Hypertech makes good products and you can program the ECM as needed for mpg, HP/TQ, towing, ect. Larger diameter exhaust is a good improvement as the faster the exhaust can get through the pipe, the better that turbo performes to an extend. The turbo obviously has limitations
    Redo the programming after upgrades
    Last edited by BurbanMan; 08-07-2013 at 07:04 PM.
    Chuckie!!!

Forget the "Air Box" thingy, unless you want to add more fuel! Add power with the "Tuner" but you only feel it @ "Full Throttle" but there are many +'s....... A exhaust up-grade works a little bit!
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, Custom tuned. 4:11's

Getting a custom tune can really boost the performance of your rig.

H&S tune FTW! My buddy has a '00 Dmax and he runs his on the "mild" tune and gets 26mpg around town and when we haul his 10k lb boat to the beach he averages 18mpg. Well worth the money. Other than the tune the truck is stock performance wise.

________2013 4C Rated__________