GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 3rd brake light, 05 yukon xl

I was pulling out of my parking spot at the gym last night and saw my 3rd brake light (oem led) flashing and flickering like crazy. I figure that it has gone bad and I need to replace it. I checked LMC and they do not have the one I need. I called the dealer, $199!! I called GM SPO and got my employee price of $99! I checked a bunch of aftermarket suppliers and can not find one. Autozone and advance has them for $65. Any suggestions on a place top find one? thanks.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

If it's flickering, maybe the wire feeding it is broken. Is the light mounted on the lift-gate? If so, there will be a wire bundle that moves and flexes every time the gate is opened. These wires have been known to break.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    If it's flickering, maybe the wire feeding it is broken. Is the light mounted on the lift-gate? If so, there will be a wire bundle that moves and flexes every time the gate is opened. These wires have been known to break.
    Good though Ray! But, mine is mounted above the lift gate and does not move when the gate or the glass is opened. I suspect that the seal went bad and water got into it.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I couldn't remember where it was mounted. An Envoy and a Jimmy, that I owned both had the light on the lift-gate (or glass) and both had a broken wire.
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)

I pulled it apart last night and played with the wires with no change. Looks like I will order one from advance. I can get if for $52 after taxes and a $10 off coupon. What I found crazy is that I called autozone and they were $3 cheaper and had it in stock. When I asked about the warranty the guy said that there is none. I found that odd, so I called another autozone. I got the same answer. Advance offers a lifetime warranty. Same manufacturer, same part number, just $3 more.

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Good deal for $3.00 ($3.09 Canadian, haha).
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)